It had better be darkest before the dawn...

Offtopic discusion goes here

Moderator: Moderators

jbcollier

It had better be darkest before the dawn...

Post by jbcollier »

... because it's getting pretty darn dark right now!

The body man working on my Europa only works part-time and subleases from another body shop. The owner of the body shop has, for a variety of reasons, suddenly decided to toss in the towel. This means, my chap will not be able to complete the Europa!

SWEET MOTHER OF PEARL

He says it will be paint ready when he is done but, really, would you trust someone else's work? The next chap(ette) will want to dig at least a little just to make sure everything is OK because it's their work that will be on display and its quality will entirely depend on the work that was done before.

Thankfully I have another good painter in mind. As long as they are willing, it will just be a matter of more time and money.
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

Oog. I hope you have found a painter to take on the rest of the job, John! I remember that the weather in Edmonton was once good enough to be able to drive a Lotus outdoors... just in case it returns, it would be a good thing to have the Europa ready to take full advantage of those long weeks (or heck -- maybe even months!) before it snows again...
jbcollier

Post by jbcollier »

I have another painter lined up and he has done great work for the shop in the past. He was my second choice if my usual chap was unable or unwilling. Should have gone with him in the first place!
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

Good to hear. This is an interesting lesson in 'contracting', because one does not necessarily think of how the stages of a job mesh with each other. Also a reminder that no matter how much experience a person has with cars, bodywork and paint are -- or can be -- such nightmares! I remember once waiting for months with an otherwise fully functional motorcycle I had spent a lot of money on prepping for the road -- just for the tanks to be painted. Lost the better part of a riding season. I won't do things that way again!
Angelo

Post by Angelo »

body work and paint are the worst. Everyone of my projects has been challenged by this, part of the reason why IF I get another one it will have to be a barnyard find that will be restored mechanically but not cosmetically!

Glad to hear #2 is going to work out for you John....
�Long live vintage motorcycles that are too tough to die...�

- Dustin Kott-