Still pretty darn dark...

Offtopic discusion goes here

Moderator: Moderators

jbcollier

Still pretty darn dark...

Post by jbcollier »

The body shop chap is now saying he won't have it paint ready, ugh. He's also messing with one of my doors in ways that have me wanting to smack him! Sigh. Soon I'll have it back and then will have to wait my turn at another shop. Given that at least some work will have to be redone, I figure I'll be out at least a few $K by the time it's all done. Not ideal but I keep reminding myself that the chap did have the rug unexpectedly pulled out from under him. Into every life...

The good news is that I finally found a 215 mm flywheel. It came out of Europe via Miami and it seems to have flown first class: almost $500 by the time the smoke and duties cleared. Oh well, it will drive the "chicks" crazy I'm sure. Now all the engine's rotating bits are back at the machinist for balancing.

All my tranny parts are in as well. Now I'm only lacking the time. I had plenty of time these last three weeks but that is how long my nasty cold lasted!! My usual spring obligations are looming and I may be pooched for Lotus work time for a while.

A little bummed but not too seriously. I expect that darn sun will be rising soon and, given my early onset dementia, this won't even be a dimly remembered bad memory ;-)
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

Bummer upon bummer. What are the odds? Let's hope your luck turns faster than this weather...

For rumination upon the vagaries of automobile restoration, allow me to direct your attention to the following kijiji ad, which tells a sad story of the kind that no-one wants to be involved in. Great model of car, but this dude wants way too much for his dismantled project, given that he is just bailing on it in mid-stream: http://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/edm ... nFlag=true
redbike

Post by redbike »

I wonder what he wants for the 1972 LSD? Was that even an option? Does it get better with age? Questions for the sages...
jbcollier

Post by jbcollier »

LSD = limited slip differential and, yes, it would have been original to the car.

I know this car and why it's the way it is. Can't say here though...
redbike

Post by redbike »

Humph. Like my version better.
Angelo

Post by Angelo »

I like both versions, but need to Her Johns story, then maybe the LSD will make it all better?
�Long live vintage motorcycles that are too tough to die...�

- Dustin Kott-
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

I'm not sure that LSD makes anything better, except very slippery roads and very slippery existential dilemmas...

Can't waiit to hear the story, however!
Angelo

Post by Angelo »

Darn I forgot to ask him yesterday!
�Long live vintage motorcycles that are too tough to die...�

- Dustin Kott-
jbcollier

Post by jbcollier »

LSD diffs also prevent the inner rear wheel from spinning when cornering hard. I fitted it to Europa because otherwise the higher engine output would shread the stock 155/13 tires.