Little Ducky's big adventure

Offtopic discusion goes here

Moderator: Moderators

jbcollier

Little Ducky's big adventure

Post by jbcollier »

We've arrived safe and sound making good time both days. We came via the Kootenay Lake ferry which was the first time for Janet. It's quite pleasent motoring along and seeing the Ducati bobbing up and down trying to get a peak out the windshield. Good gracious, if any one of the female persuasion finds themselves without a man, just borrow the Duck for the day as it draws men like flies to syrup.

We're now settled in a marvelously situated, beach front house just outside of Nelson. Amazing view, very comfortable and will be perfect once I've secured a bottle of scotch from the local life-saving society.

Cheers for now,

John
redbike

Post by redbike »

Happy to hear you've arrived safely.
david

Post by david »

Sounds nice John, the view here in Jasper is quite stunning.
Love these long days!
Ska'D for Life
Angelo

Post by Angelo »

Most Excellent.....just enjoyed to much Scotch in front of a roaring fire.....I admit not too smart!
�Long live vintage motorcycles that are too tough to die...�

- Dustin Kott-
david

Post by david »

...oh, but it tastes sooo good!
And by the sounds of it, you were functioning on Sunday morning. So, no harm done. Though your liver may say other wise.
Ska'D for Life
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

How is the riding? The west Kootenays (in summer) are one of my favourite places in the world, but I have never ridden there, only every camped up the forestry roads. I have always wanted to get in some riding, especially the famous route from Nelson north through New Denver to Nakusp... but anywhere around there would do!
jbcollier

Post by jbcollier »

It's been a bit wetter than she normally likes and, worse, she's parked outside as well. That may explain yesterday's behaviour. Finally, after all the community league shenanigans (flights there and back, public hearings with half-rabid, half-moron residents) I was finally ready for my first ride. Just a quick trip up to Balfour and back for some lunch.

I got Janet and James bundled into the car, locked up, gave Janet the keys and off she went. Primed the Duck, gave a big kick, nothing. Kicked again, nothing. As usual, remembered to to turn the key on, kicked again, and she burst into life. A little rough, but not bad. Backed up, fiddled with the choke and idle as she warmed up and then gave her some stick to get up the steep drive... she stalled.

Set her back up on the stand, and kicked again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again.

She's flooded.

Damn.

All my tools are locked in the house.

Janet's got the key and is long gone.

Damn.

I push it up the (very #$&% steep) driveway and try a few push starts. No dice. I turn the gas off and proceed to kick it with the throttle wide open, trying to clear it out. That's a lot of kicking. Some where around the twentieth kick, the side stand collapsed.

Thankfully I caught it.

Right then it fired and tried to run. No gas. Put the gas back on and tried to kick while also holding the bike up. Great entertainment for anyone watching but, otherwise, not a success.

At this point, a whole bike-less vacation flashes before my eyes. Roll back down the driveway, find a suitable log -- not easy whilst simultaneously holding up the bike -- and prop the bike up. Text Janet that I'm not going to be joining them for lunch after all and go and take a nap on the deck until they come back.

Remember to smile when they appear (I practiced) and go and get my tools. In with a fresh plug though I discover my spare second plug is the wrong one (the Duck has twin plugs). Regardless, she fires right up, whew. Have a closer look at the kick stand, and it's just a bolt that has vibrated loose, double whew.

Don my gear, rev the engine and slip the clutch and get it up the steep driveway, successfully this time. Triple whew.

Now I'm just idling along at 30 kph as it's a very small access road. I come across a small family picking berries. I slow down even more and move over to the far side. Small wave as I go by.

Then their dog notices me.

Thankfully for me, the muzzled (!!) dog is on a leash. Less so for the family as the leash somehow was partly tangled around their little girl. The dog bolted for me and the little girl learned how suddenly cruel life can be as the now taunt leash flung her about and down hard onto the gravel covered pavement.

I debated stopping, and started to do so, but thought the better of it as my presence to date had not exactly proved soothing to the dog.

Blatted out to Balfour and back -- very nice, thanks for asking -- and was relieved to see no blood on the road, nor the beginnings of a roadside memorial when I got back.

Who knows what will happen on the next ride!
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

OK, I thought that kind of won't-start-no-tools-no keys-can't do-anything-with-a-flooded-bike-with a collapsed kickstand kind of thing happened only to me! I feel a little less lonely now. Here's to some (more) successful rides!
Angelo

Post by Angelo »

I'm really not sure what to say.......except that I'm glad everything is ok. I'm going to have a drink for you....
�Long live vintage motorcycles that are too tough to die...�

- Dustin Kott-
david

Post by david »

...I'll have a drink too!
Ska'D for Life
redbike

Post by redbike »

You mean we weren't drinking before? My bad.
jbcollier

Post by jbcollier »

Found the missing plug in town so I'm all set. Big day out tomorrow as I'm heading to Rossland. Should be fine, touch wood.

Seems a wee bit lean when absolutely wide open. Probably due to finally fitting the quieter pipe I had Neil make for me a few years back. It has changed the power delivery quite a bit. The power band has more of a distinct step to it now starting at 7K or so. Whether that's due to more top-end or less bottom-end, I couldn't say. Neil did change the megaphone taper to 4° from 2°, something I wasn't happy about at the time. Still, it is quieter, which I appreciate more and more as I get older.

And, speaking of quieter, that's something I wish Crushed was just a little bit more of. It's one noisy little F#^&$%. Still, next time, I hope to bring Crushed: perfect roads around here for a fast, nimble scoot.

Next year the Kootenays for a scooter trip?
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

Can't think of a better place to ride scooters than the Kootenays--except for Salt Spring!
jbcollier

Post by jbcollier »

Ride sidelined by the Netherlands/Mexico match. Who am I cheering for? What colour is Crushed?
redbike

Post by redbike »

I've had several memorable trips to the Kootenays and would love to ride there again. Course, that was a gimme.