Lotus Update October 2014

Offtopic discusion goes here

Moderator: Moderators

jbcollier

Lotus Update October 2014

Post by jbcollier »

I'm beginning to wonder about you lot. At first I was touched by all your help and encouragement as I worked on the Europa. Now as the bills and hours mount up, I'm not sure you were "helping" me... maybe you were getting even for some wrong I've done you!

;-)

I'm never, never doing another car. It's an order of magnitude more work than a scooter or motorbike. All that said, some jokingly, I am starting to get a wee bit excited for when it is actually done. Long way to go yet but I think it is safe to say that, work-wise, we're at least past the half-way mark.

So far this month I have:

- fitted the pipes for the radiator, oil cooler and AC;

- made up battery hold-down and fitted the battery;;

- ran the positive battery cable all the way to the back;

- ran the negative cable to a cut-off switch under the dash;

- fitted the cut-off switch;

- fitted the extra electric water pump and plumbed the rad to the coolant pipes;

- made up mounts and hoses for the oil cooler and fitted them;

- fitted and plumbed the brake and clutch reservoir; and,

- fabricated twin outlets for the AC evaporator.

Next is to mount the twin fuel tanks, paint/undercoat the engine compartment, mount the fuel pump and filter, plumb the former to the tanks, finish remounting the AC compressor, figure out why the diff side seals aren't, refit the driveline and rear suspension, sort out the cable shifter, fit the pedal assembly, bleed the brakes and clutch, and...

So you see, there will be more than a few sunsets to go before I drive off in one.
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

Darn! Here I was hoping you would help turn a rusted Bug and an old Goldwing front end into a purple-candy-flake trike with a black tufted vinyl seat!

*not*

I think that car remanufacturing is an enterprise that requires some pretty cheap labour to make it viable (economically or emotionally). So either you ship it to Viet Nam or Argentina -- or you do it yourself! :P :P :P