I need a throttle cable

Chit chat related to the club or scooters in general

Moderator: Moderators

superpirate25

I need a throttle cable

Post by superpirate25 »

Is there any place local I might find a throttle cable for my '66 sprint? I tried Top Gear with no luck. I don't want to miss a weekend of riding. :(

I need the one with the small cylinder on the end, as pictured. Or perhaps a way to rig one up with some plain cable.

Kevin

Post by Kevin »

When i was in repair mode (had to get home from work somehow) and my cable end broke. I soldered on a paperclip :oops: to the end of my cable. Its been holding for 3 years now. :wink:

I know its completely incorrect. But its been the best cable i've had to date.

I would just order one from Denis @ Fastuff or Chris @ Empire with the cable nipple if needed. Then modify an existing cable till the correct one arrives.

I had a spare cable, but I've used it getting Mario's bike up and running and havn't replaced it yet.

Angelo or John, might have a spare cable lying around that might be able to replaced when a shipment of parts come in.
superpirate25

Post by superpirate25 »

I was thinking of soldering on a random piece of something. I think I will now, to at least get me through the weekend! I'm about to place an order at fastuff, going to get a few extras as well.
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

If the end of the cable is frayed just a little tiny bit, the solder and bits hold alot better to the cable.
Angelo

Post by Angelo »

I'll look through my cable collection tonight and let you know if I have a cable with a small barrel end. Is there anyway that you can mill down one with a larger barrel?
�Long live vintage motorcycles that are too tough to die...�

- Dustin Kott-
Angelo

Post by Angelo »

Kevin wrote:When i was in repair mode (had to get home from work somehow) and my cable end broke. I soldered on a paperclip :oops: to the end of my cable. Its been holding for 3 years now. :wink:

Did you contact Vespa Motorsports about the carb?

I have a a package on the way from Lambretta works....the last of the engine bits needed are on the way, including electronic ignition and Carb

- Dustin Kott-
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

My carb was ordered last week. Should be here soon. Like soon is not soon enough. If It's not ready by the Calgary Rally I'm temped to take off all the make it go quicker bits and go back to stock. Or quickly bodge together something else to ride.
superpirate25

Post by superpirate25 »

Angelo wrote:I'll look through my cable collection tonight and let you know if I have a cable with a small barrel end. Is there anyway that you can mill down one with a larger barrel?
I work at a metal shop, so I can modify pretty much anything no problem. That would be kick ass if you had a look for me, I'd really appreciate it!
Angelo

Post by Angelo »

Glad to hear that they were able to help. Alex has never let me down before. You will get it way before the rally, I think that is a safe bet!

- Dustin Kott-
coyoteran
Location: X Marks the spot...X stands for danger...two lines crossing over one another means to me...stay away

Post by coyoteran »

I work at a metal shop, so I can modify pretty much anything no problem
Works at a metal shop, is into scooters...hey, did you know that you are my new best friend. Pretty cool how that happens hey? :-)

This may sound odd but have you tried a high end bicycle shop. I needed a clutch cable for my 78 TY250 and they had the right guage of cable and a suitable end at a bicycle shop in cold lake. Made it up for me on the spot.

Keep the shiny side up.

Trevor
Vy is it vee get too soon olt and too late schmart?
jbcollier

Post by jbcollier »

I have a replacement throttle cable if you aren't able to repair yours. Ping me: jbcollier (at) shaw.ca. Are you going to be at tonight's gig? I may be there. Let me know if you want me to bring a cable along.
superpirate25

Post by superpirate25 »

coyoteran wrote:
I work at a metal shop, so I can modify pretty much anything no problem
Works at a metal shop, is into scooters...hey, did you know that you are my new best friend. Pretty cool how that happens hey? :-)

This may sound odd but have you tried a high end bicycle shop. I needed a clutch cable for my 78 TY250 and they had the right guage of cable and a suitable end at a bicycle shop in cold lake. Made it up for me on the spot.

Keep the shiny side up.

Trevor
Hey new good buddy, heh. I haven't checked the bike shops yet, although the thought has crossed my mind.
superpirate25

Post by superpirate25 »

jbcollier wrote:I have a replacement throttle cable if you aren't able to repair yours. Ping me: jbcollier (at) shaw.ca. Are you going to be at tonight's gig? I may be there. Let me know if you want me to bring a cable along.
Tonights gig meaning the club get together, or the show at Starlite? I'm going to the show, so no meet for me tonight. I appreciate the offer though. If I can't get this one to work I'd love to snag yours.
jbcollier

Post by jbcollier »

I'll hopefully be at the club get together for a wee bit. After that I am off to Igor's to do some Midget welding.
superpirate25

Post by superpirate25 »

Thanks for the tips and offers everyone. My roommate told me the cable looked exactly like a bicycle shifter cable so I went and grabbed one from United Cycle. Works 100%, actually I find it better than the stock one. A bigger fitting on the end and a little thicker cable. $3.99 and I'm rolling again!