Lotus in July

Offtopic discusion goes here

Moderator: Moderators

jbcollier

Lotus in July

Post by jbcollier »

It's been quite a while since the last update, sorry. Too busy working on it to post much -- or even ride much as you probably all have noticed.

Waited about three weeks before starting reassembly. Easy stuff first: emblems, bumpers, etc -- well, somewhat easy as every step requires careful masking and padding so you don't scratch the paint. The rear luggage box required cutting and modifying so the rear engine cover wasn't resting on it as that would cause stress cracks. Next I have to fit foam so that the same rear cover is supported (just not too much or we're back where we started).

I also fitted button hood locks to the rear cover. Lots of sweat and repeated measuring before actually drilling the holes. Very tricky to set up properly as the lock approaches its pin at an angle. I had to flexibly mount the pins in such a way as to bias them upwards. Rubber grommets and bent fender washers got the job done, whew.

The front bumper also helps support the air horns and the driving light. It's all coming together nicely. Lots more to do, mind. Waiting on some gas struts to hold the rear cover up and then on to the front and dash. I'm going to try and get it up, running, inspected and registered before the snow falls. Then I can get the interior and remaining odds and sods done over the winter.

Maiden trip in the spring?

Many thanks to John and Angelo yet again. Everything from advice to help while carefully assembling has proven them both invaluable. Frustrating for Angelo as his gibbled shoulder has him mostly coaching (appreciated as there is lots of head scratching involved in almost every step).