Crude City Scooter Club Forum Index Crude City Scooter Club
the Edmonton Chapter of the Vespa Club of Canada

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lotus in November

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Crude City Scooter Club Forum Index -> Offtopic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jbcollier

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:16 pm    Post subject: Lotus in November Reply with quote

Long time and no updates, mostly because not much has been happening. I have been busy building a funky planter/door for our rebuilt deck. Worked out very well and wowed my builder. Now I can store my trailers under my deck, sweet!

After that, I got back at the Europa. I pulled the tranny back out due to oil leaks. The Torsen diff I put in had narrower sections on the axle where an o-ring sat. A thicker sectioned o-ring solved that leak. An o-ring also sorted a persistent drip from the speedo drive. Mostly back in now and no drips. At the same time I'm replacing the shock bushings. Zero miles but a bad batch has them splitting just sitting there. Factory sent me new ones for free. I also flushed and replaced the coolant. I had used high-zoot waterless coolant but it just leaked everywhere. I had hoses so tight they were being damaged and it was still leaking. Filled with BMW blue coolant and all is well.

Next I drop the engine oil pan because a porous casting is causing a very, very, very slow leak in the bottom of the pan. I have some special epoxy paint that should fix it after a thorough degreasing.

Then back onto actually finishing the work left to do. Spring should see it on the roads.
Andrew

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! And I thought it was annoying to have to maintain and repair licenced cars that are on the road!!!

But seriously, it's good to have a soft break-in to identify all those little trouble spots, caused mainly (it seems to me, at least) by the vagaries of bespoke parts fitting together in this re-engineered update of the old S1...

Hope to see any of you who make it out to Victoria or Salt Spring this winter!
jbcollier

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pulled the pan, degreased it, painted it with special stuff, baked it for an hour @ 250F, put it all back together and it still has a slight weep. I haven't had a close look yet but maybe if I up my daily alcohol allowance, it will fade in significance?
coyoteran

Location: X Marks the spot...X stands for danger...two lines crossing over one another means to me...stay away

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find that fault-finding technique works wonders for me. Maybe a little hard on the liver but I can always grow another one right? Right?

Smile

jbcollier

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dunno but I just had an ounce of the Crown Royal Northern Something-Or-Other Rye that people have been raving about (Thanks Angelo!). I have to say I like it! Very smooth and long on the tongue -- though I know less than nothing on the subject.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Crude City Scooter Club Forum Index -> Offtopic All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: