Any thoughts on this one

A place to peddle and look for stuff

Moderator: Moderators

coyoteran
Location: X Marks the spot...X stands for danger...two lines crossing over one another means to me...stay away

Any thoughts on this one

Post by coyoteran »

This just showed up on kiji

Any opinions from you more knowledgable types.

http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicle ... dZ23695470

Trevor
Vy is it vee get too soon olt and too late schmart?
Angelo

Post by Angelo »

Well with only the discription and the photo's as reference I stay it looks pretty nice and the price is right......
�Long live vintage motorcycles that are too tough to die...�

- Dustin Kott-
jbcollier

Post by jbcollier »

Early smallframes have a few quirks.

- small engine side door.

Very hard to find if damaged or missing. Contour of door and cowling slightly different possibly giving troubles if you put a later engine in. Not impossible but very, very tight.

- small gas tank.

Very hard to find though you can fit a later one if you do not mind taking a jig saw to the frame.

- small cylinder spigot bore in cases.

There are NO kits that will fit early engines without boring out the cases. Possible, but not cheap.

- tranny design is different.

This makes it difficult to fit later tranny parts. So no four speed conversion and hard to find tranny parts if there are problems.

Do not buy this scoot hoping to hop it up. Only buy it if you don't mind stock mechanicals, or, you are willing to do a little/lot of work.

I am not trying to discourage anyone. I just want you to know what you are getting into.
Angelo

Post by Angelo »

John I learn something everyday when I read you comments.....thanks
�Long live vintage motorcycles that are too tough to die...�

- Dustin Kott-
coyoteran
Location: X Marks the spot...X stands for danger...two lines crossing over one another means to me...stay away

Post by coyoteran »

Hi all

I echo Angelos remark. The purpose of the question was to learn more about the bike, not to ask whether it would be a particularely good buy.

I was not kidding on sunday when I compared the classic scooters to long cool blondes. Great to look at, certainly fun to ride (sexist, sorry) but way too much maintenance involved. I did get the point about having a new bike that was also broken but I would venture that comparitively the newer bikes are a little less maintenance intensive than the older ones. Much like my wife. Still great to look at, still fun to ride, but not nearly as much work. (This message has been read and approved by aforementioned wife but she still says I am a dog)
:twisted: :twisted:
Trevor
Vy is it vee get too soon olt and too late schmart?
jbcollier

Post by jbcollier »

I know a fair bit about smallframes but hardly anything about anything else. If you asked me to find some muffler bearings for your Lambretta, I might actually look :-)

(looking for muffler bearings = old mechanic's joke played on unsuspecting apprentices on slow days. Just like sending someone to the hardware store for a couple of hundred feet of shoreline)

Seriously though, stock smallframes are pretty reliable. Not much to go wrong really that can't be kept at bay with periodic cable replacement. If you made that a semi-annual job, along with the usual upkeep, you would probably be trouble free.

No comment on the spooses other than to say I am, of course, the luckiest man in the world.