Final thoughts on winter scootering?

Chit chat related to the club or scooters in general

Moderator: Moderators

Iamajmilne

Final thoughts on winter scootering?

Post by Iamajmilne »

Hi,

I'm new to the board, just found it looking for an answer to a question. My wife and I are thinking of buying a scooter for our primary means of transport (we don't have a car and don't want one). We travel from Oliver Square to the UofA in Edmonton for work and that's what we want a scooter for (that and occasional trips around the city).

My question. It looks from the previous posts that most people stop scootering once the snow's on the ground. Is this correct? Is there any way to ride throughout the winter or are you basically asking for an accident?

I'd appreciate people's thoughts.
Andrew
coyoteran
Location: X Marks the spot...X stands for danger...two lines crossing over one another means to me...stay away

Post by coyoteran »

Hi AJ

Welcome to the board. I cannot speak from my experience as I park the bike when the snow flies. But my commuting requirements are not the same as yours. There is a whole whack of folks (Scott McKeen is one of them as are the guys from top gear) who scoot in the city for the entire winter. Basically, if the snow has been cleared and the roads are dry, you should be good to go.

While ice and slippery spots are an issue in the winter, they are not any more of a concern than diesel spills and gravel in the summer. However....if it was me, I would not be doing it on a new scooter. I would try to track down an older (2005) bike that may have been dropped a couple of times already and put a full set of crash bars on it. Wire it up for a heated vest, heated grips, get a good scarf and a decent parka, put your head on a swivel and drive. (Note that your head should be on a swivel already but it never hurts to repeat that)

Good luck and let us know what you decide on. We are always looking for new members to the cult of the scooter. :D :D

Keep the shiny side up
Trevor
Vy is it vee get too soon olt and too late schmart?