Lambretta Fuel Tap

Chit chat related to the club or scooters in general

Moderator: Moderators

david

Lambretta Fuel Tap

Post by david »

Does anyone have a fuel tap gasket, or fuel tap that I could borrow untill I can order one?

I had hoped to take my Silver Special out for the first ride EVER since I bought it back in November. It started on the third kick (Graham is my witness), but then I notice a small trickle of gas :?. Graham had a spare fuel tap at home but it did not fit my set-up. We took apart my fuel tap to find the gasket was damaged.

Should I consider getting a fast flow fuel tap as I have the 190 kit on my Lambretta?
Ska'D for Life
Angelo

Post by Angelo »

I would recommend the fast flow. I run it on my 190kit....

I will poke around in my box full of old spares and see if I have a gasket that can be used...
�Long live vintage motorcycles that are too tough to die...�

- Dustin Kott-
jbcollier

Post by jbcollier »

I have a fast flow here and you're welcome to it. Would you like me to come over to your place first and see if we can fit it to the Silver Surfer?
david

Post by david »

Thank-you both, you guys are stars.

Went to see the Frolics (surf punk band) tonight at The Pawn Shop with Graham. They have a different sound now that "Jeff the Mod" is gone, though I enjoyed both drummers. Sorry, I should have posted something for those that may have wanted to come.

The "Silver Surfer" me likey 8)
Ska'D for Life
jbcollier

Post by jbcollier »

I'm up David. Call me on my cell.
david

Post by david »

I recieved a new fuel tap yesterday, installed it and went on the "Silver Surfer's" first ride; what a dream. The scoot handles well, and with the 190 kit has lots of power; braking is pretty good also. Managed to get home before the weird snow/hail-like flury :?

Now the next problem. The throttle does not return to its normal position, and at times the scoot would not throttle down while I was ridding or when comming to a stop and in neutral.

I check the spring in the carburator and it has lots of snap.

Then disconnected the cable and lubricated well. Ensured the inner cable moved freely.

Checked for easy twisting at the throttle grip.

Re-connected everything, and same problem. Is there something I have missed?
Ska'D for Life
jbcollier

Post by jbcollier »

Maybe running a bit lean? Try richening up the idle mixture. I am working on Shannon's scoot tomorrow starting at 10. Feel free to pop by.
david

Post by david »

Sorry, I was not very clear. When I "open" the throttle, it does not "close" unless I manually twist the throttle closed.

I'm all for a little adventure and going fast but I still like to make those decisions :wink:
Ska'D for Life
nick

Post by nick »

My Rally is like that. Angelo and John said it's because I don't have a return spring. I consider it an archaic form of cruise control. :P

Not sure if your Lammy would have one or not. Did you have fun clutching and shifting?
david

Post by david »

Thanks Nick. I did wonder about that. Cruise control is always a nice option :wink:

I suspect John may be right also.

But here's the deal; sometimes when I "close" the throttle, is still revs like a mad man :twisted:

I think I shall take her for a spin now, and see if we can come to some kind of a mutual agreement.

(Nick, I only missed two shifts :| )
Ska'D for Life
nick

Post by nick »

Weird, mine drops revs right away when I close the throttle. I know only a little on Vespa(rally specific) and nothing with regards to Lambretta, so I don't have anything I can say to help diagnose. John knows best. Good to hear you've got it out and about though!

I missed a few shifts my first time out, AND stalled a few times.. That's embarrassing having to kick start in front of a line of traffic. :P Second time out I did neither.
jbcollier

Post by jbcollier »

Oh Man, I only wish that were true!

Lubing* up the throttle tube, cables and what not, will help with the throttle return BUT older scoots generally did not have throttles that snap shut when released. North American regulations requiring a snap-shut throttle on release came into effect sometime in the seventies. For example my ss90 throttle just stays where you put it while Crushed had an extra return spring on the throttle tube (not anymore!).

*Use a very light grease.

If you shut the throttle and the engine rpms stay moderately high (not screaming) and then slowly come down, this indicates a lean condition. Usually richening the idle mix will solve the problem. If it just screams then it is very lean!! Probably an air leak or seriously under-jetted.
jbcollier

Post by jbcollier »

Oops, sorry for the stutter.
david

Post by david »

Thank-you John, just came back from a short ride (5 or 6 miles) the high idle seems worse when the engine is hot.

As well, the revs seem to drop a little BUT, I have not waited long enogh to be sure (next ride).

So I do have "cruise control" NICE...
Ska'D for Life
jbcollier

Post by jbcollier »

If it is just a "high idle", then try richening the idle mixture a half turn out and see if that helps.