Smallie

Chit chat related to the club or scooters in general

Moderator: Moderators

Sowelu

Smallie

Post by Sowelu »

Can anyone suggest a good fix-it/info book for my PK? I figure it is time I start learning how the PK runs and how to fix it in the future.

Thanks

Shannon
"The real danger is not that machines will begin to think like men, but that men will begin to think like machines." Sydney J. Harris
jbcollier

Post by jbcollier »

Hi Shannon,

Sadly, there isn't a simple repair manual for the small-frames. The Haynes manual mixes both the large and small frames into one book and it can be confusing figuring out what does, or doesn't apply (and they get some torque figures wrong!). The best are the factory manuals which turn up on ebay now and then.

Even better is to come to my house. I have the manuals, tools, lift and I promise not to do anything but sit, drink chinotto and ramble on incoherently.
Sowelu

Post by Sowelu »

Oh that sounds like a better plan. I really do need to learn how to take care of the smallie as I know sooner or later it will break down. I love it lots, but it is not as dependable as my Derbi.

That being said, I do have some work I would like to do on the smallie. I have a new to me front fender. The plastic one broke this summer and I'm replacing it with a metal one. The metal one needs some work and needs to be painted before I replace it. (I'm working on that right now.) I also have a new primary gear from Sean to help increase my acceleration on the smallie. I was going to contact you to see how I would go about booking it into your shop, but if you are willing to teach me how to do the repairs/changes in exchange for chinotto and muffins that would be even better. I do however, feel guilty taking your time as I haven't really been involved with the club for a while. :? Life is so darn full right now.

Shannon
"The real danger is not that machines will begin to think like men, but that men will begin to think like machines." Sydney J. Harris
jbcollier

Post by jbcollier »

Alas, same here. We've only had a couple of get-togethers this winter.

I'm not sure exactly what your scoot's spec is but I'd be cautious about switching the primaries. You can actually end up being slower. A stockish 135 kit like the Polini with a simple exhaust and 90/100 primaries will do 85 - 90 all day long and not slow down much for the hills. With the 125 primaries, 4th ends being an overdrive and you're forced to use 3rd for hills and headwinds.

Let's have a close look before going that far.
Sowelu

Post by Sowelu »

Sounds great. I'll touch base with you once I get the fender started. I'm in no rush to do the other stuff yet. It runs great, great for rallies and eventually I'd like it to go a bit faster, but not crazy fast like the Crush.
jbcollier

Post by jbcollier »

Did you get a metal PK fender? Or, a metal older smallframe fender?
Sowelu

Post by Sowelu »

You know what, I'm not sure. Sean sent it to me from some of the parts he had. It does look like the plastic fender that is currently on the scoot, but that really means nothing. I can send you a picture of it. (Not sure how to post a picture to this thread.)

It needs to be cleaned, wire brushed to get the rust off of it and then painted. it also looks like it is a bit bent on the edges. Dale has hooked me up with a place that can make rattle can paint to match the current fender. Probably my best option at this time. At sometime the whole scoot should be repainted as the current paint job is sucktastic. Paint from the scoot transfers to everything it rubs against. i.e. my helmet, inside of my car, etc. I'm holding off on repainting until I'm more familiar with the scoot. Don't want to invest a ton on painting only to have it scratched up due to my inexperience.

All in all it is a great little scoot. It was super fun to play with last riding season. I'm looking forward to playing with again this riding season.
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

I don't see any documents indicating what size pimary is in the PK50XL
But my guess for that guy is a 15/60 (we'll need to pull the clutch cover and count to confirm)

How many teeth are on the primary Sean got ya?
Have a couple drinks and count the little teeth a couple times too see how many you get :twisted:

If i've done my math correctly

Changing out primary from 15 to lets say 22 will mess the ratios right up. Speeds for gears would change
from
23km/34km/50km/65km
to
33km/50km/75km/94km

I don't think there is enough power in the existing setup to hold 3rd or 4th gear after a change like that.

I think the exhaust was a stocker SITO. Fairly restrictive. Lets say we swap on my old POLINI "Banana" exhaust come spring time. Maybe the motor will wake up enough to give ya little bit more. An extra 1000rpm would net you about 10km/h on the top end with 15/60 gears.

John, do you know if the case needs to be split to change out the primary or can one sneak through the clutch side without a full split?
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Empire didn't do the greatest when they painted it. I think they must have messed up the hardener when they did it. I don't know enough of the process to know for sure.

I have weekend access to a paint booth now that i share shop space. I'm sure i could talk Ryan into let us use it if we play nice and stay out of his way. They paint 55,000 liter tanks in there. I'm not even sure if Ryan would see a scoot hiding way off in the corner.
jbcollier

Post by jbcollier »

I can't remember if it has a 110 kit or a 135 kit. If it still had the 50 primaries, it would only do 60 kph no matter what the top end. I don't remember it revving like crazy, and it went faster than 60 , so I think it at least has the 90 primaries.

You have to split the cases to change the driven gear (clutch). There are available different drive gears (crank) which you don't have to split the cases to change but they don't make as big a change as you would need to go from a 50 primary ratio to a 90 ratio -- also I think they require a special driven gear to be in place already.
Sowelu

Post by Sowelu »

63 teeth ... Give or take 1. The scoot tops out at around 70. I think it is a 110 kit on the scoot right now.

All of this sounds like Greek to me, but also sounds great ... I think. :wink:

My only time line is that any work that I do on the scoot needs to be done before May as I'm taking Tiki to Victoria. (Actually Kory and Mel in Calgary are taking her and I'm flying to Victoria.) so I need to get her to running and in Calgary before May long weekend.

Shannon
Last edited by Sowelu on Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sowelu

Post by Sowelu »

Thanks for the offer of the painting Kevin! I'm in no rush, but I'd like to do it sometime in the future. I'm hoping to keep the yellow. It really has grown on me.
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

The fellow at Empire engraved in my brain that the kit was a 102.
jbcollier

Post by jbcollier »

In that case, I would fit a 51 stroke crank, a Polini 135 kit and a Polini banana exhaust. Then you will be faster than a stock P200.
Sowelu

Post by Sowelu »

Oh I like the sound of that!!!!! How much would I be looking at to go down this rabbit hole? (Or at least a guestimate.)