Cause -->Effect or Coincidence --> Conspiracy Theory

Chit chat related to the club or scooters in general

Moderator: Moderators

coyoteran
Location: X Marks the spot...X stands for danger...two lines crossing over one another means to me...stay away

Cause -->Effect or Coincidence --> Conspiracy Theory

Post by coyoteran »

Ok, so I have been having some ignition problems with the P200 of late. The motor signs off at the same..ish spot on the 9th ave bridge in Moose Jaw every afternoon. It doesn't do it in the morning. I end up having to coast up to the apex of the bridge and down to the other side before it will fire again. It's not a fuel thing as it's too sudden. It does the same thing about 5 k up the road in the morning and afternoon but only since SaskTel put up a new hi-power cell transmitter. The bike doesn't completely die but it stumbles badly. Once I get 100 meters past the tower it runs fine.

So has anybody else heard about ducati ignitions being susceptible to radio frequencies? Or is my comms background causing me to find links where there really are none. Anecdote..the brakes used to fail on our shop car about 20 percent of the time we went to a trouble call at 416 Sqn in Cold Lake. One day after just about smacking into the hangar again (hello e-brake) I noticed the radar test shop was on the other side of the wall. We did a highly unscientific test and found that if they were running the low power test jig, the brakes on our car (a sunbird I believe) would fail.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

T
Vy is it vee get too soon olt and too late schmart?
jbcollier

Post by jbcollier »

Completely out of my field of expertise.

Only on the bridge, and never anywhere else? Is the bridge "steep" so that you are harder on the throttle at that point?

???
Angelo

Post by Angelo »

�Long live vintage motorcycles that are too tough to die...�

- Dustin Kott-
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Ya might be onto something Trevor

A Faraday cage around the ignition would be an interesting and fun project.

But change the spark plug. It might be slightly fouled or the gap is out.
coyoteran
Location: X Marks the spot...X stands for danger...two lines crossing over one another means to me...stay away

Post by coyoteran »

jbcollier wrote:Completely out of my field of expertise.

Only on the bridge, and never anywhere else? Is the bridge "steep" so that you are harder on the throttle at that point?

???
It outright dies on the bridge. Not steep. Not a cold engine. This is after running it for 5 or 6 k. It stumbles on the open highway at the same spot (by the SaskTel cell tower) and at another couple spots in the city. It could be an aspect thing but the locations where it stumbles/dies are all different in inclination. I will try a different plug again but instead of replacing 1 for 1, if the plug I have has a resistor, I will install a non resistive plug and vice versa. Will also check the grounds on/around the ignition just in case.

Aint electronics fun?

Thanks
T

ps, I like the faraday cage idea. Maybe I will replace both cowls with copper mesh cages and a matching helmet. That would look sweet.....and incredibly nerdy. I am not saying it's aliens...BUT IT'S ALIENS!"
Vy is it vee get too soon olt and too late schmart?
Yarko

Post by Yarko »

I had something similar with the Sprint a few years back. While commuting to work in the summer, the scoot would slow its idle at a stop and die after a few km. I would then throw in a new spark plug and that would normally fix the problem for another couple of km or, if I was lucky, a few days. I went through almost every spark plug that would fit but nothing really helped. I then remembered that I had a brand-new CDI coil from SIP. I threw that on with a new HT lead and new spark plug cap and haven't had a problem with it since.
bstanish

Post by bstanish »

Angelo wrote:Image
Have you experienced a loss of time or are there any mutilated cattle near by? Any extra screws, probes or other bits and bobs protruding from you since you started your ride?
redbike

Post by redbike »

bstanish wrote:
Angelo wrote:Image
Have you experienced a loss of time or are there any mutilated cattle near by? Any extra screws, probes or other bits and bobs protruding from you since you started your ride?
And here's, me wondering where all the tinfoil has gone. Sheesh, thanks for solving the mystery. Well, one of them at least.