Engine Oil for Modern Vespa

Chit chat related to the club or scooters in general

Moderator: Moderators

Paul S

Engine Oil for Modern Vespa

Post by Paul S »

I have been having a hard time finding engine oil for my Vespa LX 150, specifically 5W40 4T Full Synthetic. So I dropped by our local Vespa Dealer, Alberta Cycle, to get the parts I need for an oil change from them.

They didn't have 1L of the 5W40 just a few 4L jugs that were $55. The parts guy told me that their service department wasn't using the 5W40 for their scooter services any more. They were using 10W40 instead.

Is it a bad idea to use the 10W40 over the 5W40 as recommended by the manufacturer? I'm kind of wary of doing that.

Does anyone know where to get some 5W40 4T Full Synthetic in 1L jugs? Canadian Tire and Part Source both seemed to be clearing them out and their shelves were bare of it.

Also, an Oil Filter at Alberta Cycle costs $30. Monica checked ScooterWest and it was $9.95! Any leads on getting oil filters locally for a decent price?
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

CanTire by my house (Kingsway) says to have a bunch of 5w40 Royal Purple in 1L jugs.

A while back i bought a 5l jug of Rotella 5w40 synthetic at Walmart of all places. Pretty sure it was closer to $45 as well.

If you can get the recommended stuff why not run it?
Paul S

Post by Paul S »

Thanks Kevin! For sure I would like to get the recommended stuff vs the 10W40. We will check out Kingsway CT this afternoon!
jbcollier

Post by jbcollier »

10w40 is too thick. I use Mobil 1 0w-40 in modern scooters. Canadian Tire carries it as well.
rbielby

have oil will travel

Post by rbielby »

Hi Paul, I have some of that oil John is talking about, (John, I will pick up another liter) . Paul when we did my change (same engine) that's what I used and it seems to be good. John explained a technical reason why it's better but I won't mess it up by explaining what he said. Did you still want to try to meet up tommorow?
Ryan Bielby
Former: Electric Bike 50cc (on good days), Yamaha Razz, Piaggio Typhoon 50, Derbi Boulivard 150. Now. Burgman 400 AN and Various old pedlie bikes I still keep around.
Paul S

Post by Paul S »

We picked up some Royal Purple 5W40 to do oil changes on both of our LX150's. I also picked up a 1L of 75W90 gear oil to replace that as well (it's time to change that too according to the manual).