Buying a modern 50

Chit chat related to the club or scooters in general

Moderator: Moderators

jbcollier

Buying a modern 50

Post by jbcollier »

Looking at getting a modern 50 for James and Janet to try/use/share. Have it narrowed down to a Rukus or an ET2.

Question:

Anyone somewhat on the shorter side running a ET2/4 or LX50/150? How do you find balancing when stopped? (No problem for James but Janet is 5'3")

Pretty much have to fit a side stand and there is no way Janet would be able to lift one onto a centre stand but I think they are available for both.
Macgyyver

Post by Macgyyver »

My LX150 is great to ride, I have to pay attention to stop, and some times slide a butt cheek over to put a foot down. I *AM* 5'0" tall, and have platform boots that help but I could use another inch.

Side stand - Paul found it to be tricky. I can manage the centre stand - one of my old bike mechanics showed me the trick, I don't have trouble with it at all.

I was going to go chat with Volker and see what magic he could do for my seat, and on the big bike too. Heard he was a magician.

If you're ordering a seat, please let me know, I'll double up on that - maybe we save sharing shipping.

There's a bunch of links… but basically all are… get thick soled hiking boots and a lower seat/less padding. Check out Corbin, apparently they used to make a low profile seat. I read somewhere a while back that there was a low-profile Vespa seat available, but I haven't had time to look for it.

Other option is maybe a Yamaha Vino or the Honda PCX150 ( tried that out at the bike show and liked the fit)

http://modernvespa.com/forum/topic52256
http://www.nebcom.com/noemi/moto/sbl.faq.html
http://www.scooterdiva.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=12067
Last edited by Macgyyver on Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
=~=~=
2001 Vino YJ50 2-stroke (Just rolled 26,000kms - yes that's right - 26!)
2007 Yamaha V-Star 1100 Custom "Blaze"
2006 new to me Vespa LX150 8,000kms with character
2006 hand-me-down Vespa LX150 33,000kms
coyoteran
Location: X Marks the spot...X stands for danger...two lines crossing over one another means to me...stay away

Post by coyoteran »

The ET2 is a little taller than you would expect but my oldest daughter Hannah is 5'2" and she managed ok on my ET4. The ET2 is a much better bike than the ruckus though just because it's a two stroke. The ruck 50 doesn't have enough go to get out of it's own way.

Hannah drives a Vino 125 in Calgary and it's a fun low zippy little bike. If you can get your hands on a 2 stroke 50cc Vino it's not a bad option. Avoid the 4 stroke 50 like death.

Both Char and Hannah managed to figure out the centre stand on the ET with a bit of practice and that was on the 150 which is 20 lbs heavier than the 50. Actually closer to 30 lbs heavier due to all the crap I have added.

T
Vy is it vee get too soon olt and too late schmart?
rbielby

Post by rbielby »

Morning John. My Gf has the LX50 and I think is 5'3 5'4. The bike is quite light overall and fairly easy to put on the centre stand for her. There is the option to add the side stand and a cover where it just bolts in on the left so no modification is needed (2014). When I have tried it out I found it balances very well, unlike my old scoots you can come to an almost complete stop with the feet on the floor boards. She has no trouble holding it up at any light etc.
Ryan Bielby
Former: Electric Bike 50cc (on good days), Yamaha Razz, Piaggio Typhoon 50, Derbi Boulivard 150. Now. Burgman 400 AN and Various old pedlie bikes I still keep around.
redbike

Post by redbike »

The common complaint about side stands for the modern scoots is they retract when they ought not to leading to dumped bikes. Mastering the centre stand is the best option I think.
coyoteran
Location: X Marks the spot...X stands for danger...two lines crossing over one another means to me...stay away

Post by coyoteran »

redbike wrote:The common complaint about side stands for the modern scoots is they retract when they ought not to leading to dumped bikes. Mastering the centre stand is the best option I think.
+1 to that. The side stands are spring loaded and don't lock into place like motorcycle side stands. As soon as you straighten the bike up, up goes the stand. It's caught me off guard a couple of times.

T
Vy is it vee get too soon olt and too late schmart?
jbcollier

Post by jbcollier »

I think that can be fixed. Thanks for all the advice so far. Still in the early stages.
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

You might also consider the Yamaha BW50/Zuma, which is also 2-stroke like the Vespa. We had three of them (the last one a 70cc wildebeest) and they all performed flawlessly for my kids and me.
Macgyyver

Post by Macgyyver »

Hey John, do you guys wanna borrow Sparky for a while? It's not like she doesn't already have plenty of road rash if something were to "happen". Obviously I'm concerned…:shock: Give it a try for a bit and see what the family thinks? I haven't gotten to ride it all that often since it's already down at Paul's.
=~=~=
2001 Vino YJ50 2-stroke (Just rolled 26,000kms - yes that's right - 26!)
2007 Yamaha V-Star 1100 Custom "Blaze"
2006 new to me Vespa LX150 8,000kms with character
2006 hand-me-down Vespa LX150 33,000kms
jbcollier

Post by jbcollier »

Monica,

That would be brilliant, thanks. Really only a pop-by would be needed. Just want them to sit on it (height for Janet) and have Janet try the brakes. (arthritic hands).
jbcollier

Post by jbcollier »

Too late!

Bought a Honda Jazz this afternoon. Janet loves it and can hardly wait to get it insured and licensed.
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

Now THAT is really good news (not the Jazz necessarily 😉, but the fact that Janet loves it!!!).

Happy riding!
jbcollier

Post by jbcollier »

The Jazz hits all the buttons:

- it's very cute

- it's very light

- it's very quiet

- she can put both feet on the ground

- she can get it onto the centre-stand (first try!)

Now we just have to wait and see how see does with the brakes (arthritic hands).

You could have knocked me down with a feather when we got home and she dashed inside the house to see if she could arrange insurance and get riding right away (too late, office closed).
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

There's probably not a scoot out there better suited to Janet, in fact. The Jazz is so light that the little engine is fine for its weight. JC or I on a Jazz would be a different story. I wonder if you could rig a foot pedal for the rear brake? That could help.

But the enthusiasm is what matters! Do you think this has been latent for a long time, or developed recently, John?
Sowelu

Post by Sowelu »

I'm so excited for Janet. Can't wait to see her riding around town!

Shannon
"The real danger is not that machines will begin to think like men, but that men will begin to think like machines." Sydney J. Harris