Intro

Chit chat related to the club or scooters in general

Moderator: Moderators

SebringMike

Intro

Post by SebringMike »

Hello folks... I'm your newest member.
I recently acquired a Piaggio P125X, with the intent of restoring it for my daughter.
I'm fairly mechanically inclined; I'm just finishing up the restoration on my 1965 Ducati Sebring, and I do all maintenance on my 1970s Yamahas and my BMW.
Before I start the mechanical work on the scooter, I wanted to do some reading (on my scooter in particular), and Piaggio/Vespa.

Can you point me in the direction of books or websites I can use for reference materials? I'd rather do some basic reading/research first before inundating this site with silly questions.

I also know that I need some basics; I'm replacing all of the cables, I need a new ignition key (and tumbler), and I need new left and right levers.

Can you point me in the direction of a vendor, or vendors, for these items? I'd like to buy locally, but understand that I'll also likely be purchasing from abroad.

The plan is to check, and repair, any mechanical issues and then work on the cosmetics. Like all of my bikes, the scooter will be ridden... it won't be a concorse restoration but a good restoration.

Thanks in advance for your help,
Mike
redbike

Post by redbike »

http://www.scooterhelp.com/serial/VSX1T.manual.html will get you to Scooterhelp.com and the owners manual.

There's a new guy in the Ottawa area who's trying to make a go of it. Lots of history in the scoot world. His name is Cory and you can get his details via Scooter Fix!, on Facebook. Lots of us have ordered from SIP in Germany, though a group order is the way to go here because of shipping. I have one of their recent catalogues kicking around which is surplus to my needs. Their website is also searchable by scooter model, though I find it a pain to actually use. Your call here.

Ready to face the US exchange rate? Then scootersoriginali.com are good folks, and scooter west.com is another well known supplier.

Someone with more detailed knowledge on your bike will likely be along shortly. Welcome to the community.
jbcollier

Post by jbcollier »

And:

http://www.scooterhelp.com/serial/servi ... VSX1T.html

Beware of the Haynes manual, it mixes too many different Vespa models into one book which makes it very confusing. It is also just plain wrong in a few places.

I have a hard copy of the above manual, other books that might be helpful and all the special tools. You would be welcome to borrow any/all.

There really isn't any local supplier for Vespa specific stuff. Tires, tubes, batteries, etc can be bought through local shops via Parts Canada. Best if you look up the part numbers yourself.

We used to get a fair bit out of the US at Vespa Motorsports but the rising US dollar means they are pretty expensive right now. I mostly deal with SIP Scootershop in Germany. The Euro to $CDN is also not great but better than the $US exchange rate. They have a LOT of parts so you need to look things up very carefully. It's easy to order the wrong part if you are not paying attention.

We also do periodic workshops if people have projects. Typically we do one to strip things down and make a list of parts to order. Then another to put it all back together. Just let us know if you would like that.

Watch the list and come out some Sunday for a meet and greet. It doesn't have to be a scooter to attend a ride.

Cheers,

John

various scooters, Ducati 250 cafe, BMW R100R and Lotus Europa project which means I haven't touched a single scoot so far this winter :-(
SebringMike

Post by SebringMike »

Redbike and John,
Thanks for your responses. I've started some basic research and wandering through the various sites to get a better understanding of the scooter.

I've been tied up getting my Ducati finished, and I'm proud to say that I'm getting close. I have one minor mechanical issue to resolve, electrical is almost complete, and bodywork is just about finished at the painter. We had her running this past week. Yahhhoooo!

Once that project is a little further along, I will start the scooter. At that time, I would be very interested in getting some help on the disassembly and creation of the to-do and to-purchase lists. I'm guessing in 2-3 week (end of February)?

What's the standard protocol for your services? You supply the brain-power, I supply the tools, beer, pizza, coffee, donuts etc?

Thanks again,
Mike
jbcollier

Post by jbcollier »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-4P1WPE-Qg

End of February should be grand.

We're meeting tomorrow at 10 at Iconoclast Koffeehaus. It's on 105 Ave and about 118th Street. No, or minimal, signage but it will the only business with cars in front. I'll be driving a silver Volvo station wagon.
jbcollier

Post by jbcollier »

Can you transport your scoot? I have the tools, manuals, and a heated work space.
SebringMike

Post by SebringMike »

John,
I can transport the scooter in a pinch, but it's not a preferred solution. As you're aware, when you dismantle any vehicle, it takes up approximately 10x the volume of the original vehicle.

So the thought of man-handling a bazillion boxes of parts into and out of a truck, and then having to do some sort of organization as I unload the truck again isn't that appealing. I would prefer to dismantle and sort within the confines of my garage.

I hope I don't sound ungrateful, because that's certainly not the case. I'm very appreciative of your original offer.

I will keep the group informed of my timing for the dismantle... if any folks are available to help, I'll welcome you with open arms. If not available or convenient, I won't be offended.

As a side note, here's a photo of my Ducati, sans bodywork and part way through wiring and test firing. Hope to finish the wiring this weekend... then I just need the painted bodywork.

Thanks again,
Mike
jbcollier

Post by jbcollier »

Mine is a bitsa:

https://jbcollier.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/i-QKgMsdt/A

Sure we can work at your place. Last weekend of February fine for me. Not sure after that as spring gets busy.
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

Now that is going to be a fine-looking Ducati!
SebringMike

Post by SebringMike »

John,
Your Duc is a few years younger than mine, and shows a few of the mods to make them a little more reliable on the track. Congrats!

Andrew,
Thanks! I'm really looking forward to getting it on the road... just waiting for the painted parts. My paint guy is late; I guess I can't ride it any way, but it would be nice to have it completed. They say patience is a virtue.

All who are interested... I'm ready to start pulling my scooter apart this weekend. Any and all are invited. If you're interested, let me know. Saturday or Sunday works, but Saturday is my preference.

I've learned since my original post that it's a PX125E.

All the best,
Mike
jbcollier

Post by jbcollier »

Saturday sounds fine. What time?

Full strip? Or, just engine out and stripped?
SebringMike

Post by SebringMike »

I would like to do a full strip.
I will be replacing all seals and gaskets on the engine, a full repaint, and replacement of all rubber, cables, brakes and tires.

Would 10AM work?

Mike
jbcollier

Post by jbcollier »

10 am sounds very civilized, thanks. Last, but not least, where?
SebringMike

Post by SebringMike »

PM'd you.
SebringMike

Post by SebringMike »

EDITED

Folks,
If you're interested in joining John and I tomorrow, my address is xxxx. In the west-end, south of Lewis Estates.
See ya,
Mike
Last edited by SebringMike on Sat Feb 27, 2016 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.