Modrey's dumb questions of the day: 2t Oil

Chit chat related to the club or scooters in general

Moderator: Moderators

LibertineAudrey

Modrey's dumb questions of the day: 2t Oil

Post by LibertineAudrey »

Where should I be buying 2-stroke oil from, what specifically should I be looking for, are oils made for "direct-injection or pre-mix" acceptable, and how often should I expect to have to put some in?

Oh, and do I seriously need to drain the already-there oil out, as suggested by some zealots?

Cheers
All hail Emperor Kang!
Angelo

Re: Modrey's dumb questions of the day: 2t Oil

Post by Angelo »

LibertineAudrey wrote:Where should I be buying 2-stroke oil from, what specifically should I be looking for, are oils made for "direct-injection or pre-mix" acceptable, and how often should I expect to have to put some in?

Oh, and do I seriously need to drain the already-there oil out, as suggested by some zealots?

Cheers
Drain the oil after winter storage. I do and I recommend it. As far as 2stroke oil, most motor bike shops carry good oil, BUT I'm glad that
you asked the question because I have been meaning to ask the 2 Stroke masses what name brand that is recommended for "smokeless" oil????
I think I'm done with tradional oil.
�Long live vintage motorcycles that are too tough to die...�

- Dustin Kott-
daniel.larson2

OIL

Post by daniel.larson2 »

The Agip City Tec 2 stroke oil is pretty good, and smokeless. works in both direct inject or pre-mix as I recall, and I know Top Gear carries it.
Sip another rum and coke, told a dirty joke.
Sowelu

Post by Sowelu »

A request from those of us still on a T&G and have to ride behind you ... no strawberry scented oil. That smell is enough to turn anyone's stomach.
:roll:

Shannon
"The real danger is not that machines will begin to think like men, but that men will begin to think like machines." Sydney J. Harris
LibertineAudrey

Well, I bought some oil from Top Gear, and after reading the back (my first mistake) it left me horribly confused if I bought the right/acceptable stuff. It's motul "scooter expert" oil. It claims to be smokeless, but I'm not sure (and was kind of disappointed, truthfully). My second mistake was to read on the internet about oil...which only confused matters for me.

So is this oil acceptable for Sparkle Motion, or do I need to get something else?

What is the reason for draining the oil after winter, or more importantly what is the reason for draining oil when changing brands, etc? Is it bad that I've been riding around with the oil the bike came with? Can I forget about it this year, and start next year with that procedure?

I considered the strawberry only because it seems to piss people off :D, but then I decided I like you guys and you'll have to ride with me a lot.

Thanks!
All hail Emperor Kang!
Angelo

Post by Angelo »

LibertineAudrey wrote:Well, I bought some oil from Top Gear, and after reading the back (my first mistake) it left me horribly confused if I bought the right/acceptable stuff. It's motul "scooter expert" oil. It claims to be smokeless, but I'm not sure (and was kind of disappointed, truthfully). My second mistake was to read on the internet about oil...which only confused matters for me.

So is this oil acceptable for Sparkle Motion, or do I need to get something else?

What is the reason for draining the oil after winter, or more importantly what is the reason for draining oil when changing brands, etc? Is it bad that I've been riding around with the oil the bike came with? Can I forget about it this year, and start next year with that procedure?

I considered the strawberry only because it seems to piss people off :D, but then I decided I like you guys and you'll have to ride with me a lot.

Thanks!
NO it's not ok to leave the oil that it came with for this riding season. You have no idea how long that it has been sitting in that bike. NOT a good idea.

I change it after winter because sometimes Impurities settle to the bottom of your casing and it's Nicey nice to get rid of them while you can.
BTW I'm not draining the oil because I'm changing brands, it's because your supposed to change the oil from time to time. Ask AL, his motor might not have needed all the expensive work and time that has been put into his engine if the previous owner had just serviced his scooter on a regular bases.

I have not used Motul, but I'm sure it is fine

Thanks for the heads up on the AGIP Dan...

what are you confused about after readng on the internet?
Last edited by Angelo on Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

- Dustin Kott-
LibertineAudrey

Now here's a NEW dumb question... mostly because I'm interested in doing things right, really...

Is there OTHER oil to be concerned with besides the oil that mixes with the gas? If, theoretically, you were to ride all season long, would you ever need to change any oil at all? It was my understanding that all the oil you put in would eventually burn off, is that wrong?

Does anyone like how one question is actually like three hundred?

And I only mention changing it when changing brands because a few spots on the internet have said it's an absolute MUST, but that doesn't really make sense to me. Changing it after winter does though...

Cheers
All hail Emperor Kang!
Angelo

Post by Angelo »

LibertineAudrey wrote:Now here's a NEW dumb question... mostly because I'm interested in doing things right, really...

Is there OTHER oil to be concerned with besides the oil that mixes with the gas? If, theoretically, you were to ride all season long, would you ever need to change any oil at all? It was my understanding that all the oil you put in would eventually burn off, is that wrong?

Does anyone like how one question is actually like three hundred?

And I only mention changing it when changing brands because a few spots on the internet have said it's an absolute MUST, but that doesn't really make sense to me. Changing it after winter does though...

Cheers
Yes. The oil in your gear box. Very important. Changing it after X amount of miles or else the engine goes boom! I'm sure Scooterhelp on the internet would have valuable information. I don't put enough miles on my scooters to worry about anything more than once per season.

I'm far from being an expert on this stuff but different manufacturers have different formulations and I'm sure this is why they recommend draining any existing oil and starting fresh when you change brands. I would but that doesn't mean everyone would.

Your P is oil injected. You just have to keep an eye on the oil level indicator and make sure it never runs dry. Again since I have never had an oil injected system I'm couldn't tell you how often you nee dto fill the oil reserve.

- Dustin Kott-
LibertineAudrey

Thanks Angelo,

I actually found the scooterhelp section on the gearbox oil, so I think I'll try changing it myself tomorrow. It seems easy enough even for me to understand. (It wasn't changed at any point that I can recall, right?)

The oil that mixes with the gas though, that was already in the scooter, do I need to do anything with that, or can I leave it alone and just start putting my own in?

Sorry for all the questions, I just want to do things right.

Silly neophytes. ^_^

Cheers
All hail Emperor Kang!
Angelo

Post by Angelo »

LibertineAudrey wrote:Thanks Angelo,

I actually found the scooterhelp section on the gearbox oil, so I think I'll try changing it myself tomorrow. It seems easy enough even for me to understand. (It wasn't changed at any point that I can recall, right?)

The oil that mixes with the gas though, that was already in the scooter, do I need to do anything with that, or can I leave it alone and just start putting my own in?

Sorry for all the questions, I just want to do things right.

Silly neophytes. ^_^

Cheers
Stop Apologizing! It's good to ask questions. I would say use up the 2 stroke oil that's in the scooter and when it's almost empty then start using your new stuff, but lets see what everyone else has to say!

We have not changed your gearbox oil during the workshops, so I would say DO IT!

- Dustin Kott-
jeffthemod

Post by jeffthemod »

I agree with Angelo about the 2 stroke, let what you have (almost) run out and refill the chamber. Don't use the strawberry stuff unless you want to be nicknamed the Paget of Edmonton. ;)

Definately change the gear box oil, I find that it empties much better after a good long ride to warm it up. Please dispose of it in an environmentally friendly manner :) Any 30 wieght non detergent oil is fine.
I was a mod before you was a mod.
LibertineAudrey

HEEEEEY JEFF!

Thanks for the info. I changed the gearbox oil yesterday (and rest assured, it went into the container of oil that goes to the appropriate oil recycle/disposal place). There was hardly any oil in there, I probably put at least 3x as much back in, but it was pretty clean.

I promise promise promise not to use the Strawberry stuff!
All hail Emperor Kang!
jbcollier

Post by jbcollier »

Hmm, sorry about that Audrey. We should have checked your oil when we went over the scoot this winter. Mia culpa.

In the old days, the oils used could have various components separate out over a period of time. So, yes, back then it was a good idea not to leave your bike over the winter with oil sitting in the tank.

Nowadays, oils are formulated with much better quality emulsifiers and it is no longer an issue unless you are storing the bike for a period of several years. Modern oils are also formulated to reduce smoke which is a good things as well. Flavour I'll leave to personal taste.

Injector oil is formulated differently from premix oil but not that different that you need to sweat about it with our low state of tune Vespas. Still, do try to use oil designed for injection with your bike, Audrey. It is specially formulated to flow and pump well and avoid the storage issues discussed above. If you have put in pre-mix, relax, and just make your next bottle injector oil.

Piaggio recommends non-detergent 30 weight motor oil for the gear box. It works but it doesn't last very long. A better choice is simple automotive 80/90* gear oil. It's much better for your gears and bearings. It lasts much longer and it doesn't affect your clutch. I got the tip from Dennis (in Vancouver) and Igor and have been happily using it for years.

* Gear oil viscosity is measured differently than engine oil viscosity. 80/90 is about the same as a 40 weight engine oil.
Angelo

Post by Angelo »

jbcollier wrote:Piaggio recommends non-detergent 30 weight motor oil for the gear box. It works but it doesn't last very long. A better choice is simple automotive 80/90* gear oil. It's much better for your gears and bearings. It lasts much longer and it doesn't affect your clutch. I got the tip from Dennis (in Vancouver) and Igor and have been happily using it for years.

* Gear oil viscosity is measured differently than engine oil viscosity. 80/90 is about the same as a 40 weight engine oil.
I use the 80/90 as well and have been very happy.

- Dustin Kott-
LibertineAudrey

Yeah, I actually read that you can use the gear oil, but when shopping, I was unable to find any that wasn't specifically made for marine use. Because I tend to fret over everything, I decided that was enough of a reason to use the motor oil.

Thank you all for the information though, it eases my little mind significantly. :D

Cheers
All hail Emperor Kang!