Co-op space

Chit chat related to the club or scooters in general

Moderator: Moderators

akrticic

Post by akrticic »

Hi guys
I'm very bummed about the Top Gear closing.
I'm going to talk to Wolf about renting the back area where the service was. The idea is to hava a scooter Co-Op shop where you come in use the lift, tools and any other resources. Hanging out is a given! It could be a membership based to cover the rental of the space.
Let me know if anyone is interested.
Alen
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Rental of the space will not be cheap. I don't know for sure, but one would have to guess lease rates must be at least 15 per square, maybe even more, for something fronting on Whyte plus operating costs.

Are you prepared to drop $1000 or more per month on space?
akrticic

Post by akrticic »

I'll know more once I talk with Wolf. I won't guess at the price. I'm hoping he'll give us a break as it would be non-profit club.
I figure 20 members, $50 per month would be acceptable.
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Wowsers...

For $50 a month, I'll buy my own lift and everyone can hang out in my garage. I'll even let some of ya use the pisser in the house on occasion. If you buy some big assed castors and bolt them up I'll let you tow it with your scoot anywhere in the city you wish anytime you need it.

If your really only after a clubhouse to work on stuff, a pretty swanky shed can be built cheaply. How many sq'ft do you need?
LibertineAudrey

Post by LibertineAudrey »

We also don't have 20 paying members, I don't think. Keeping in mind, our dues go towards finding the rally, club swag, and other club events. And I'm personally not able to throw another $50 a month into more club stuff, especially if I have a project that would need that kind of workspace XD

I think it's a nice idea, but not very realistic for the size and type of our club. Many of the vintage riders already have suitable work spaces, or use each others, and the modern riders tend to take their bikes in for servicing.

Of course, that's a generalization, but I think in general...is why it wouldn't work. :\
All hail Emperor Kang!
akrticic

Post by akrticic »

Can anyone give me reasons why it would work? I'm trying to get this idea off the ground and stay positive, as we are loosing the only scooter shop in town.
Other than the club there is a lot more riders in town with Aprilia's, Piaggio's and other scoots that don't ride in the club. Like me.
All of them are interested in some kind of a Co-Op garrage.
LibertineAudrey

Post by LibertineAudrey »

I don't think anyone is trying to rain on your parade, sorry if it seems that way. It sounds like you already have the reasons it WOULD work. I just can't see there being a whole lot of interest from the club. I could be wrong and if other club members want to speak up that would be great.

I'm also not sure that the Top Gear space would be your best space either. If it is something you are serious about, you might be better off putting these co-op funds towards buying a lift and a good set of tools and setting up in someones personal garage space or renting a cheap space off of Whyte. You might also want to consider opening the offer up to other motorcycle groups in the area. I think you would have a tough time convincing TopGears leaser to be on board with the idea, and you need to ask yourself who will ultimately take responsibility for the space and legalities? Even in a co-op one person is going to have to write down their name as the responsible party, and it's the one person who will take the fall for the rest. Just something to think about.
All hail Emperor Kang!
jbcollier

Post by jbcollier »

Go for it!

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Unfortunately I am over committed as it is so I will not be able to be involved.
Angelo

Post by Angelo »

go for it!
Last edited by Angelo on Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
�Long live vintage motorcycles that are too tough to die...�

- Dustin Kott-
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

I'm still interested of where this can lead to...

$50 per month/$600 per year is too much considering double that almost buys ya a honda ruckus. Just buy a different one every two years and never do any maintainance ever.

Do you think its doable for less cost than this?
jaelee

Post by jaelee »

I'm still interested of where this can lead to...
go for it...maybe not on white ave but elsewhere might too. don't let the naysayers get to you. I'd go for it.
Macgyyver

workspace

Post by Macgyyver »

sounds interesting… somewhere else I can make a mess.

:wink:
Andrew

Work space

Post by Andrew »

Folks: a friend of mine and I share a two-wheel-vehicle workspace with a motorcycle lift, a compressor, and a fair selection of tools. It's in a little garage in Old Strathcona. I can divulge details at a club meeting. We are always happy to have people drop by and even to open it up to others, assuming club membership, etc. My mechanical skills are modest, my buddy's somewhat better. We probably have enough space to keep a bike a while for a bigger project as we have temporary use of a double garage next door too. It's not accessible until the snow melts. He has a trailer w/ a 1'7/8"s hitch, and I have a bumper mounted scooter-carrier (class 3 hitch) if anyone needs to borrow either.
david

Post by david »

Welcome to the club Andrew :D You now have access to the Private Members Area. Thank-you for your offer, hope to see you at up comming meetings and future rides-yes, somewhere in the future.
Ska'D for Life
DaelimRacer

Post by DaelimRacer »

I think this is a wonderful idea which just needs to take off a bit.

In vancouver there is a shop called motomethod and it is a community motorcycle and scootershop. You pay a 100 dollar membership fee and then 25 dollars an hour to rent a lift while you work on your scooter or motorcycle.

The shop carries a variety of commonly used items such as jets etc...

The key thing is that there are always mechanics there can offer support when you are having difficulties. They also have a computer so you can google vidoes or online documents in case you have problems while fixing your scooter or motorcycle.

I think that this idea certainly has potential in edmonton and could easily take off. Not likely at the old top gear scooter place due to costs but perhaps at a cheaper place in the area.

Edmonton bicycle commuters is a block behind the old top gear scooters and they do fine on fees of 5 dollars an hour and a 20 dollar a year membership.

As well there are grants available from the federal government ( and provincial government....well in BC anyway) to start up projects like this.

I would fully support this idea or at least moving towards it.