Technical help with open air filter and new manifold.

Chit chat related to the club or scooters in general

Moderator: Moderators

DaelimRacer

Technical help with open air filter and new manifold.

Post by DaelimRacer »

So along with the help of a friend we installed a new intake and larger 24 milimetre oko carb. We had wanted to install a big bore kit but it was the wrong size sadly.

More, sadly, we could not revert to the original intake as it was damaged while taking it off.

Anyhow long story short we had to install the larger carb and intake on the stock cylinder.

It starts up ok when I have the choke on full but when I turn the choke off it dies out.

I can ride it with the choke on but...when i give it about 60 percent throttle it dies out again.

Currently, it is using a 80 main jet.

I am thinking that because it is a larger carberator and using the open air filter that I need to go to a larger jet size.

But on the other hand if it runs ok with just a slight throttle and it dies out when I give it full throttle perhaps the mix is too rich.

Anyway, any thoughts on how I can resolve this?
DaelimRacer

Post by DaelimRacer »

The original carburetor was 19 mm and the jet was 70 if that helps.
DaelimRacer

Post by DaelimRacer »

Also guy took out the oil pump as well so does anyone know the ratio I need to use now.

Sigh............ the whole thing has been such a drag process.
jbcollier

Post by jbcollier »

Sounds like you need a larger main to me.

What's up with the old manifold? Could it be repaired?
DaelimRacer

Post by DaelimRacer »

it might be possible to repair the manifold but it does not connect to the new carb anyway.

so will try rejetting to see if that helps.

lesson learned
jbcollier

Post by jbcollier »

Run two percent as it is still a stock top end.
DaelimRacer

Post by DaelimRacer »

jbcollier wrote:Run two percent as it is still a stock top end.
Sorry what does this mean?
Yarko

Post by Yarko »

2 percent oil/gasoline mixture.
DaelimRacer

Post by DaelimRacer »

wow! the guy here said 1:3 gas to oil which seemed kinda insane to be honest.

K that makes more sense then.
jbcollier

Post by jbcollier »

2% is 50:1 or 50 parts gasoline to one part oil.
jaelee

Post by jaelee »

you'll probably have to re jet the carb, there's a lot of information on the web about this topic. tuning is not a simple of taking off a part and putting something on. it;s a lot more involved and some knowledge is required. anyways...here's a start:

http://www.smellofdeath.com/lloydy/jetting.htm
DaelimRacer

Post by DaelimRacer »

jaelee wrote:you'll probably have to re jet the carb, there's a lot of information on the web about this topic. tuning is not a simple of taking off a part and putting something on. it;s a lot more involved and some knowledge is required. anyways...here's a start:

http://www.smellofdeath.com/lloydy/jetting.htm
Ya I see that now.

fuck
jaelee

Post by jaelee »

when i start a build i usually take the engine apart completely, match the cases to the ports on the cylinder. then match the intake port on the cylinder to the intake manifold, then raise the exhaust port and widen it to about 70% of the cylinder bore and match the exhaust port on the cylinder to the pipe i'm using. then i replace all the bearings and seals. I'll get it all together and almost do a dry build to make sure that everything "fits". i'll get on the web and research some gearing options. then get it all together again and fire it up. then the jetting begins. it;s a lot of work and takes a ton of time. and even after all this it's usually an on going project to make little adjustments here and there. just recently i got my lambretta to point where i'm happy with everything.
DaelimRacer

Post by DaelimRacer »

K so just had an awkward conservation with a mechanic here in vancouver.

Guy said that by using an open air filter the mixture will change with temperature, and rain etc.. and I would never be able to use it. Which does not make sense to me.

I think he was just not wanting to get involved and looking for a way out.

Anyway so is my current situation just a matter of tuning then?
I know I went up a size or two on the carb but with proper tuning it will run correct?

Anyway overall a disaster of a situation.
jaelee

Post by jaelee »

not necessarily, it may not run optimally but it'll work, and yes it's just a matter of tuning or dialing it in