looking for some smallframe engine help in the new year

Chit chat related to the club or scooters in general

Moderator: Moderators

big 3

looking for some smallframe engine help in the new year

Post by big 3 »

I am working on a smallframe project and am in need of some engine help, i don't know much about the history of the engine, it does have a Polini kit on it, but i was going to change the bearings and seals, install an electronic ignition kit, and rebuild the carb. I have done lots of engine work before, but not on Vespa engines. If you can help out with the tear down or know a mechanic in town, please respond to add. Thanks
jbcollier

Post by jbcollier »

Would we strip the engine and then order parts? Or, do you have the parts already in hand?
big 3

Post by big 3 »

well I already have the ignition kit, I am going to order the seals and bearing this week. The engine has good compression, but the guy I bought it from said it would start but would stop working after a bit, so that is why I am thinking the seals are gone. The carb definately need rebuilding, but I am trying to find a place in North America for Dell orto parts, so i don't haver to go to SIP
jbcollier

Post by jbcollier »

If the seals were gone, it would be a matter of being unable to stop it rather than it quitting on its own. Could be a condenser, coil, plug, etc.

Carb kits can be had from a number of NA suppliers: scooterworks, vepsamotorsports, etc. As can all the other bits and bobs you might require.

Personally, it does not sound like it needs an engine overhaul. Ignition kit and carb overhaul would probably cover all the bases.

What ignition kit do you have?
big 3

Post by big 3 »

it is an Hp4 flywheel parmakit one, got it from SIP in the summer. Like I said the engine has a Polini top end and a PHBL carb 24 mm i think, not sure though. I've got a new wiring harness, and am going to get some ss parts, still trying to figure out how to cut the leg shield. I am hoping to have it done in time for the rally this year, i should have my PK 50 automatica running too, it is quite an oddball
jaelee

Post by jaelee »

you can get dellorto parts thru a few places like 1977mopeds.com or treatland.tv or dellortodirect.com. and I agree with John...i think it's the condensor that's causing your running for a while and stopping problem.
jbcollier

Post by jbcollier »

No problem getting together and doing whatever you'd like. Just let us know what and we'll sort out a when.
big 3

Post by big 3 »

much appreciated, i'll get in touch after the holidays