Rally 200 in the USA

Chit chat related to the club or scooters in general

Moderator: Moderators

nick

Rally 200 in the USA

Post by nick »

Hey all! So I know David and Angelo have both recently imported bikes from the usa. I've found a '77 Rally 200 in Utah and have been talking to the owner in regards to it. From what I can tell, it seems fairly good for what it is. I'm just wondering if anyone has any opinions, tips, or questions I should know about this Vespa or the process of importing it before I make a move and start talking cash with the guy..
Anyway, Thanks!

http://www.thevintagevibe.com/vintage-s ... 0-vse.html

also on

http://scoot.net/classifieds/forsale.html?id=33100
david

Post by david »

Hey Nick, it looks like a cool scoot. I can talk a little bit about shipping and getting it here. You will be surprised how much more it will cost you to get it here than you think when buying a scoot from the US. Buying an Alberta scoot will save you $175 in GST, $200 for the OPI, plus shipping$$$? If you use a broker to take care of the paper work at the border add about $550. Are you thinking to have it shipped here, to the border, or will you drive down to get it (do you have a passport-$85)? Most importantly, does the seller have a "title" for the scoot in his name? Before any money changes hands have the seller fax/scan a copy of the title to you, as well as pictures of the frame/engine VIN numbers; make sure everything is correct. I can talk you more about shipping options when the time comes. Good luck Nick. Any other questions, just ask. PS, I will keep an eye out for something closer to home.
Ska'D for Life
nick

Post by nick »

I've been watching the market for Rally's for the past 8 months I would say. There are a tonne in the USA, but I have seen less than a handful show up in Canada. My hopes were to possibly avoid using a brokerage if possible, but again, I'm not sure how in depth the paperwork is and such. Also, I'm not sure once all the paperwork and money is in order, how long the process takes. These are the things that I do know so far though. I can get it shipped to Sweet Grass for under $300, it does currently have a title(I'm verifying the numbers are in order). I already have a picture of the serial on the frame and the Piaggio metal sticker thingy. I do have a current passport and am ok with paying the duty as well as OPI fees. The plan would be to drive down to Sweet Grass and pick it up ourselves.
Thanks again!
big 3

Post by big 3 »

Just so you know, you can do your own customs clearance, and not pay the associated brokers fees (i am sure we have all dealt with UPS and their stupid flat rate fees), and you can do that at your local CBSA office, if you Google "how to pay your own customs brokerage" you will find several discription on how to do it, and it will save you some money.
david

Post by david »

The paper work is easy enough, and if you have eveything in order there should be no problem at the border. Sorry, I wasn't very clear about the broker; you only need a broker if you are having the scooter shipped across the border. The broker makes sure all the paper work is in order, that it is sent to the border crossing in time, and they pay the taxes/duty on your behalf. As you will be bringing the scoot across yourself, you get to do all that. I will get you a link for the forms/info you will need.
Ska'D for Life
nick

Post by nick »

Oh cool, thanks David! From what I've researched, basically you have to give the US office three days notice that you are exporting a vehicle and provide them with the details. Then you need the title, bill of sale, possibly proof of payment, and the Canadian RIV forms (Form 1?) for Canadian Customs. I could be and probably am off on a few of the details. The RIV website doesn't give much detail for the process with a vehicle that is 36 years old. But yeah, some links would be greatly appreciated!
david

Post by david »

The RIV forms are provided and filled out at the border. You are right about the 72 hour time frame. A minimum of 72 hours before you go, fax copies (I'll get you the fax#) of the title, bill of sale, and the completed form that you can get from the link that I will send you (I can also bring one to Audrey's) PM me with your email and I'll hook you up. I would suggest getting a copy of the ad (helps prove how much you REALLY paid). Bring that to the border as well as paper work showing your payment (all this, so they can tax you!). Bring any other supporting documents (original title and bill of sale included) and you should be fine. Like you Nick, I searched for months to find the scooter I wanted. Finding one here would have been much cheaper and easier, but no such luck. I wish you better luck than I had :)
Ska'D for Life
coyoteran
Location: X Marks the spot...X stands for danger...two lines crossing over one another means to me...stay away

Post by coyoteran »

Regarding the bike itself, the local scooter shop owner knows the bike and the owner and told me today that it is in good shape. He said it has the newer P-type motor along with the corresponding crank, flywheel, and ducati ignition which makes it easy to replace should the ignition go south on you.

I have feelers out in town for anybody who has a rally for sale. The spouse of one of the shop employees has one that they might be interested in selling but those conversations are still being had. She said she would let me know in the next couple of days.

L8r
T
Vy is it vee get too soon olt and too late schmart?
nick

Post by nick »

Thats good to hear! I did notice the Ducati flywheel from the photos, which was a nice thing to see. I'm not making any decisions in the next few days anyways. Thanks for checking it out and getting some inside info, Trevor!
jbcollier

Post by jbcollier »

I got your earlier email and have had a look at the photos. My only concern is the cosmetics: it's a little rough. $2500 and it's a good deal, $3,250 seems a bit rich to me -- bearing in mind though, I am not up to speed on Rallys.

Next point: DOES IT HAVE A CLEAR TITLE? If not, is the present owner willing to secure one for you? It's a big deal: no title, no crossing the border, period. The ability to get titles is tightening up in the US, it is no where near as easy as it used to be. Check it out carefully before committing to buy.

Add $500 to $800 for shipping to the border. There's a shop in Montana that will receive it for you for $50 to $100 (David?). You are more than welcome to borrow my trailer to pick it up. It's practically a dual citizen by now.
david

Post by david »

Yes, $50.00 storage fee, they were great to deal with. Let me know, and I will pass on the info. Also, any shippers I talked to were quoting me $650-$700 shipping from Califorinia to Montana. John is so right, make sure the title is in order, or big problems for you. :shock:
Ska'D for Life
jbcollier

Post by jbcollier »

http://vespahalifax.com/news/158-vintag ... w-in-stock

A search site for vespa 200 scoots (nothing there of interest right now)

http://www.scooterfinds.com/vespa-200cc ... s-for-sale
LibertineAudrey

Post by LibertineAudrey »

The seller in question has connections in the shipping industry, hence the low shipping price. I had spoken to him before about shipping lammy stuff for me. It didnt work out in the end for other reasons, but I think he's on the up-and-up about that.
All hail Emperor Kang!
jbcollier

Post by jbcollier »

As long as you are OK with the cosmetics, it's a good buy.
LibertineAudrey

Post by LibertineAudrey »

oops..
All hail Emperor Kang!