Rally 200 in the USA

Chit chat related to the club or scooters in general

Moderator: Moderators

nick

Post by nick »

Ah. Cool, Thanks guys! I was looking at information for the required documents on the US side and it mentioned the MSO.. Just wanted to be sure. I've got a quote of $550 from Daily Direct. They said it's an average of 32 days from pickup to delivery, but it depends on where the drivers are at. They include $15000 insurance with $500 deductible.

I've got a copy of the worksheet for US customs already, and "Form 1" I get and fill out at the Canadian border. As long as I have the title, bill of sale, and any supplemental documentation of the bike it doesn't seem to be too bad of a process.

*EDIT*
Also, paypal would seem to be the most secure payment method. What have you guys used?
Yarko

Post by Yarko »

Not sure if relevant but I've used TFX International to ship my Sprint from Ontario to Edmonton and they were fantastic, no gripes. They also ship from US to Canada. It ended up around 500 to ship it for me.

http://www.tfxinternational.com/motorcycles

Man, the cars they had in that trailer were unbelievable.
david

Post by david »

If you use Paypal, they take a 5% cut. You might get the seller to share the cost.

On the first scoot I bought, I trusted the seller so I wired the money into his account; but it was only $1000.

The second scoot was considerably more, but I was prepared to do the same. My intent was to send $500, he would then fax the signed Title and Bill of Sale to me. Then I would send the rest of the money and he would courier overnight the original documents to me.

We proceeded as above, though, he wanted to use Paypal (he forgot about the 5% charge) and he picked-up the $200 bill.

I entertained using a motorcycle/scooter shop (if you can find one that will play along), the scooter would be shipped from the shop; so when it is dropped-off you send/wire/courier the money.

Nick, I know of no secure way to complete this type of transation. But as a wise scooterist once said to me "displaying enthusiasm, sympathy and trust will have people behaving better than they ordinarily might in an impersonal situation".

Good luck with what ever you do.
Ska'D for Life
nick

Post by nick »

OK. So he sent me the title. Few possible issues I noticed. Not sure if they are or not.. The title says it is a 1978, but the serial and the year on the plate on the bike are 1977, the serial number of the bike does match the frame though.. Secondly the persons name on the title are not the person who is selling it, and its a Kansas title, So I would need him to transfer the title into his name? The seller is in Utah. Maybe if one of you guys could take a look? PM me your email and I can forward you the scan I have if you don't mind. Thanks!
nick

Post by nick »

oops i meant the serial on the frame matches the serial on the title
david

Post by david »

It's not unusual from my experience to see the years get mixed-up, I don't think it is a problem; someone else please correct me if I'm wrong.
But to be clear, sometimes the frame number dates the scoot to lets say 1960, but the title says 1962. This is not a problem.

On the paper work though, all the numbers need to be the same on all the documents, or you could have problems.

With regards to the title, the only way you will have any success of getting your scoot across the border is if the name on the title and the name on the bill of sale are the same.

There are some other options, but lets not go there yet. The best scenario is for him to get the title in his name so all the names add up.

You will sometimes see scooters, motorcycles, ect. for sale in the States with "bill of sale only". That is because the vehicle has not been registered for a period of time and the seller does not want to pay all the fines and back fees to get the title paid up to date. Fees are paid annually on vehicles regardless of whether you drive it or not.

In some States you can pay a one time fee for a "non op title" while the vehicle is not in use.

We have it much better here in Alberta :D
Ska'D for Life
nick

Post by nick »

Yeah. The frame number dates the bike as a 1977, and the Piaggio plate says date of manufacture is 8/77. Title says 1978.

I looked up and can't find anything about back fees for titles in Utah. From my searching it seems like he'll have to apply for a Utah title as it currently has an out of state title, then pay the $6 fee.. Seems like that sort of thing would cost more than that.. I could be wrong. Maybe others have some incite into this.
jbcollier

Post by jbcollier »

8/77 is the production date. It's a 1978 scoot.
jbcollier

Post by jbcollier »

Does he have a bill of sale from the title holder to himself?
nick

Post by nick »

I'm just going to send him that question right now. If he has the bill of sale from the person on the title, do I still require him to transfer the title? Or is the bill of sale from the titleholder into the current sellers name enough?
jbcollier

Post by jbcollier »

Maybe, phone US Customs and ask. I don't know how long chain they'll allow
nick

Post by nick »

He apparently had a sales agreement via email with the current titleholder, but is getting the guy to get a proper bill of sale so he can transfer the title/get a Utah title in his name. Sounds like they know each other. So if that goes through properly, I think hopefully we should be in the home stretch. It's gonna take at least a week I suspect to do all that.. Probably longer. Rather wait for it to be proper. He's been pretty good for getting all the info for me though.

OH.. Also, I had someone else offer me a Rally 200. This ones in California. It's a '74. But its missing all the signals and is gonna be a femsa system. Oh and he wants a bunch more money than the deal I tentatively have already. But its a nice looking scoot.
nick

Post by nick »

Update to this epic saga is that he still has not gotten the title in his name.. In fact, from what he's told me he JUST got the bill of sale from the previous owner. The bill of sale "apparently" was sent to the wrong address, then returned, then sent again.. He's also putting some pressure to get money from me, before he's gotten any documentation for me. I'm not really comfortable doing this.. Basically at this point I'm about to tell him to find someone else because he is being a major flake. I'm pursuing another Rally that I found out about last month. If anyone else has any other leads I'm open to checking in on those also. Fun times! :P
jbcollier

Post by jbcollier »

Why would you give him anything until you know he can get a title? Once he has the title, sure. If you are getting a bad vibe, listen and look elsewhere.
nick

Post by nick »

Latest update. I've bought a Rally. Specifically it's a 1974 Rally 200 from the guy in California. After dealing with the previous failed seller I knew what to look for. The seller of my scoot was super helpful. Corresponded via email a lot(started this a month ago), and spoke to him on the phone about the scoot for half an hour yesterday. Everything checks out. Title is in his name, it all matches, and I already have a signed copy of the title and bill of sale that he's emailed to me. They are being physically mailed to me as of tomorrow. HaulBikes should be picking the scoot up between the 18-20th and delivering it to Montana Shipping in Sweetgrass. :D