Rally 200 in the USA

Chit chat related to the club or scooters in general

Moderator: Moderators

nick

Post by nick »

I am totally ok with how it looks cosmetically. I do agree though, he is mad to think that it's worth $3250.. Still waiting to hear back from him with information about the title. I'll keep you all in the loop. Whatever happens, its to my benefit knowing how the process should go for when I make a move on a scoot.
david

Post by david »

big 3, that is a great tip to do your own customs clearence.

Nick if you can have the scooter shipped here, at this time of year that may be a consideration. Unless you really want a winter road trip.

Back when I was looking to tranport my scooter across the border, the shipping companies I contacted would only ship vehicles across the border if a brokerage company was used. But, I would think there are shippers that would let you take care of the paper work.

If you have time it might be worth looking into.
Ska'D for Life
Angelo

Post by Angelo »

hey guys. sorry i wont be able to help out on sunday as i'm out of town with fam. nick i just want o say the obvious. i think its worth waiting for the right deal . its not worth what he is asking. in my mind especially because it doesnt come with the original engine. the p engine is a great engine but doesnt add any value to a rally. if that is something that matters to you you should give it a second thought. ultimately it is your choice but felt it should be mentioned . good luck with your choice. cheers
�Long live vintage motorcycles that are too tough to die...�

- Dustin Kott-
jbcollier

Post by jbcollier »

It's not clear in the description if it is an original engine with P ignition (stator & flywheel), or, a P engine swapped in. Frankly, if I had a Rally with the "Femsa" ignition, I'd take it off, put it on the shelf and fit the P stuff.

Have you talked to the owner for clarification?

Have a good trip Angelo!
nick

Post by nick »

Nice to see you John and David on Sunday. Yeah, I totally agree with you Angelo that it is not worth that much at all. I still think it is decent for what I'm looking for and has some value, just not 100% original value. I've made him an offer pending him verifying of some information for me. I still think he believes he has a gem of a Rally. If so, it's not the bike for me then. They pop up south of the border fairly regularly, and sounds like Trevor has a few leads. So I'm not worried. Again, thanks for all the help!
nick

Post by nick »

So he clarified a few of the details in his latest scoot.net ad. Supposedly it is the original motor, but with a new NOS ignition installed. Autolube is still not re-installed.

http://scoot.net/classifieds/forsale.html?id=33224

He wants an offer closer to his asking price apparently. His new asking price of $3100 is still about $500-600 above where it should be in my opinion, also where every Rally in that condition has been selling for the past year.. Getting a decent Rally for fair market value looks like its going to be a waiting game, which I am willing to do. If a decent P200e pops up locally, I might jump on that as I am wanting something for this season. Then still keep my eyes open for a Rally. It's still very early in the year though.
jbcollier

Post by jbcollier »

Ask him for photos of the leg shield ding now that it's "popped out". If it really did "pop" out, It might be worth the asking $$.
nick

Post by nick »

It looks good. I sent him another offer.. Seems like he would take it.. BUT he says now that his "guy" doesn't go up to the border.. He's going to check with said "guy" to see if there are any other options that they could get it to the border for me. So I'm just wondering which shipping companies you guys have dealt with and abouts how much it would cost from Salt Lake UT to Sweet Grass MT. Or if you have phone numbers where I could get a quote.
Thanks!
jbcollier

Post by jbcollier »

I used these guys:

https://shop.bevelheaven.com/SearchResu ... goryID=242

Maybe not the cheapest but dead reliable and no need to crate.
Angelo

Post by Angelo »

jbcollier wrote:I used these guys:

https://shop.bevelheaven.com/SearchResu ... goryID=242

Maybe not the cheapest but dead reliable and no need to crate.
Their cheaper than I would be, I can eat alot of burgers at Peter's in calgary!

Good deal Nick, hope it all works out. I might have missed something earlier, please tell me this bike comes with a valid Title!?

- Dustin Kott-
nick

Post by nick »

Sorry Angelo, yes it has a valid title. I've send off a quote request to Daily Direct(Bevel Heaven), so I should know tomorrow abouts how much it will be. The online quick quote shows that it should be around $585. I do like the fact that they are an insured carrier, and they don't require a crate.

Also, I would rack up a bill at Peters too.. I learnt my lesson once ordering the large fries... :O
david

Post by david »

I used JC Motors for the first shipping www.motorcycleshippers.com no crate required. Shipping took longer than they said it would, by 2 weeks (five weeks total). In fairness, the pick-up and delivery was from a small town to a small town.

The second shipping company I used are located in Lynwood California, D&D services 323 567-9480 talk to Barney. The scooter was dropped-off there and a crate was required ($225 for a custom crate, well built and packed). I was very happy with them.

D&D uses many shippers, so they may be able to assist you with shipping from Utah.

From the day the scooter was dropped-off to delivery was less than one week.
Ska'D for Life
nick

Post by nick »

Now this probably is going to be a really dumb question.. One of the required items for the border crossing is the MSO or a certified copy of the same from the DMV.. I can't find much information on this document or what it even is besides being a "Manufactures Statement of Origin". Or is this part of the title? If he does not have this document, how does one go about getting a replacement from the dmv.. The bike has the original sticker which says all that information, but I suspect thats not the same thing..
Angelo

Post by Angelo »

Basically all you need is the guy to write "made in Italy" on the bill of sale. I didn't even have that on mind and the question wasn't even raised. You can also print off some info off the net which show's the serial number and how it corresponds to what year. I had all that info "just in case" and again no one asked, but better to be safe.

- Dustin Kott-
jbcollier

Post by jbcollier »

IIRC, you only need an MSO if the vehicle is less than 15 years old. And a whole lot of other things as well. Fortunately, all that disappears if the vehicle is 15 years or older.

http://www.riv.ca/importingavehicle.aspx

Specifically:

http://www.tc.gc.ca/media/documents/roa ... /vafus.pdf

-----------

13. IMPORTATION OF VEHICLES (15) YEARS OLD OR OLDER AND BUSES MANUFACTURED BEFORE JANUARY 1, 1971 - Vehicles fifteen (15) years old or older, as determined by the month and year of manufacture, and buses manufactured before January 1, 1971, are no longer regulated under the Motor Vehicle Safety Act by virtue of their age. While Transport Canada does not regulate the importation of these vehicles, it does not preclude the vehicles from having to meet provincial/territorial safety and licensing requirements. Importers of such vehicles are required to complete a Vehicle Import Form 1, at the time of importation, and present proof of ownership. Also, please contact the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) for clearance requirements.

-----------

Basically it's saying you will have to get an out-of-province inspection before it will be road legal.

What you will need at the US border:

http://www.riv.ca/USCustoms.aspx

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/trade/basic_ ... ehicle.xml

Phone Sweetgrass and they will fax you a worksheet which you will need to fill out and submit, with copies of the title and bill of sale, at least 72 hours before you actually arrive at the border with the vehicle.

Sweetgrass Area Port/Coutts:

Interstate 15 N at Canadian border
Sweetgrass, MT, US, 59484

Phone #: 406 335-9610
Hours: Call to confirm

The only fees will be on the Canadian side where you will have to pay GST.