My Vespa Is Apparently Inadequate

Chit chat related to the club or scooters in general

Moderator: Moderators

Yarko

My Vespa Is Apparently Inadequate

Post by Yarko »

...for the Class 6 road test. My brake light isn't working and if I drop below 70kmph on the Whitemud I fail automatically. Any suggestions?
jbcollier

Post by jbcollier »

Hey Yarko,

I'll see if I can dig out the GS for you this weekend.
coyoteran
Location: X Marks the spot...X stands for danger...two lines crossing over one another means to me...stay away

Post by coyoteran »

Take the on-lot test from a motorcycle training academy. I can't remember where I did mine but I had my license paperwork in hand the day I passed the course.

Oh, and get your brake light fixed! What vespa do you have?

T
Vy is it vee get too soon olt and too late schmart?
jbcollier

Post by jbcollier »

Unfortunately, no more on lot tests. Some provide a bike for the test for free if you take the course.
david

Post by david »

You could take your test at a Downtown location (I can get you the name) and avoid the Whitemud.
Ska'D for Life
nick

Post by nick »

Oh the days of testing out of Top Gear.. Ride down the block, slalom through 3 pylons, and back to Top Gear. Those were the days...
LibertineAudrey

Post by LibertineAudrey »

I always thought the rule was that if you needed a class 6 for the vehicle in question, you could use that vehicle for the test.

Call other testers, some are more lenient than others it seems.
All hail Emperor Kang!
jbcollier

Post by jbcollier »

They won't test using an older vehicles that does not have signals, etc.
Yarko

Post by Yarko »

The signals the examiner was not so worried about. I think if the brake light gets resolved it should be fine apart for the slowness on the Whitemud. It could be that when I adjusted my brakes a few weeks back I made the rear so tight that it does not break the contact in the switch when I use it. I'll adjust the switch tomorrow and see if the light comes on. If it comes to it, I'll just rent a bike from a teaching place.

It's a 68 Sprint.
Yarko

Post by Yarko »

The brake switch disconnects the signal entirely and the taillight assembly seems to have no issues; must be an issue higher up.
Yarko

Post by Yarko »

Turns out that the brake switch had melted at some point. If anyone has a switch that makes contact when pressed, I would pay good money to borrow it.
redbike

Post by redbike »

You might want to check these guys out in Stony Plain. http://www.recyclemotorcycles.com They have lots of used and wrecked parts. You could probably call to see if they have it.
pk50

Post by pk50 »

i may have one on my parts pk50 i don't know if its compatible?
Yarko

Post by Yarko »

The switch is very rudimentary; when the rear brake pedal is depressed, the switch is pressed and the current has a path to travel through. When the pedal is pressed, the switch is depressed and the current does not travel through the switch. I have an old switch that I tried to convert to a working one but it's been fruitless.
jbcollier

Post by jbcollier »

There are two switches:

1) Normally Closed. The released pedal holds the connection open and the switch makes the connection when the brake pedal is depressed. DC/battery scoots and higher output AC scoots

2) Normally Open. The released pedal makes the connection and the switch breaks the connection when the brake pedal is depressed. Low power AC scoots.

It may be that you have a normally open switch with a higher output AC circuit. This would melt the switch over time. If so, we would have to rewire it so it is not a short-to-ground-for-off circuit.