Nail in front tire of lx 150 :(

Chit chat related to the club or scooters in general

Moderator: Moderators

haveaniceday11

Nail in front tire of lx 150 :(

Post by haveaniceday11 »

Just noticed a nail in my front tire of my LX 150
:( very sad about it.
Can I patch it up at any fountain tire or should I bring it to alberta Honda or should I just get a new tire.
If I get a new tire where can I get one online. Thanks!'
jbcollier

Post by jbcollier »

Go to Canadian Tire and buy a tire plug kit. Other places such as NAPA, Princess Auto, etc carry them as well. After the repair, keep your speed under 140 kph.
redbike

Post by redbike »

^^ heh heh heh. John may be trying to tell you to spring for a new tire. On the other hand, he just be mightily impressed with the lightening speed of the 150. :lol:
haveaniceday11

Post by haveaniceday11 »

So not possible to get it patched then? I am confused.
redbike

Post by redbike »

No, you can patch it, without doubt, as long as the puncture is on the tread portion of the tire and not on the sidewall. The question you have to ask yourself is whether you want to rely on 2 tires, with 2 inches of contact area, when one of them has a patch. By comparison, cars have 4 tires, and a metal cage, so if one tire fails for any reason, you have a somewhat better chance of survival.
jbcollier

Post by jbcollier »

I would not run a plugged tire at high speed. However an LX150 doesn't go fast enough to even worry about it.

Having an air compressor helps. If you don't have one, swing by my place. I have plenty of plugs on hand as well.
haveaniceday11

Post by haveaniceday11 »

Ok I called alberta cycle and they have one tire in inventory so gonna snatch that up and replace. Better safe. Thanks.
jbcollier

Post by jbcollier »

I have a BMW R100R. It goes roughly 200 kph if the cops are all out getting doughnuts. It weighs 420 lbs, carries two people fully kitted (approx 360 lbs) and another 100 lbs of luggage as well. That brings us up to 880 lbs. The BMW tool kit is quite complete and it comes with, wait for it, tire plugs and the tools to install them. The manual says to slow down when using a plugged tire.

If your front tire has good tread, I would plug it. If it is practically worn out, then replace it. If the front tire is good and you insist on replacing it, please get it back from the shop and I'll repair it for someone else.
haveaniceday11

Post by haveaniceday11 »

Thanks John. The tire still has good tread on it, the Vespa only has like 2200 km on it. I am just going to get the other tire...just in case...and plug the current one so i have a back up when the time comes. I hear those tires (110/70-11) are tough to get so it's always good to have an extra...plus the price is right :D

Thanks!
Angelo

Post by Angelo »

So what is your name? all these profiles get set up and no one uses their real names!!
�Long live vintage motorcycles that are too tough to die...�

- Dustin Kott-
big 3

Post by big 3 »

You can patch a tire a keep it's speed rating, first you use the plug mentioned above, and then put a radial patch on the inside of the tire, many tire companies will have specific instructions on how big the hole can be and the size of plugs and patches to be used to maintain speed ratings. Obviously consult with your tire manufacturer before doing this, but the idea that a tire is done if you pick up a nail is simply not true.