Looking for Insight

Chit chat related to the club or scooters in general

Moderator: Moderators

cjang

Looking for Insight

Post by cjang »

Hi everyone,

I've been eyeing a scooter for the longest time and after taking one for a spin this past week in Montreal, I think I'm ready to just go for it.
Now I'm looking for opinions as to what to consider. I know everyone says it depends on the person and what usages the scooter will be used but some opinions couldn't hurt, right?

So basically, I just wanted to see whether people in the city have found the 50cc to be not enough power or not. I’m eyeing potentially a 2004 Vespa ET2 that someone in Sherwood Park has posted on Kijiji. It has 2990km on it and is asking for $2500 with some additional gear. Unfortunately, I keep reading that people say 50cc isn’t enough (at least in other countries) and to consider just the 150cc.
I'm looking to potentially take some rides from Windermere to downtown for the most part. Maybe sometimes across the city to the north side too.

Also, I just wanted to see what the community is like with regards to experience with used purchases in the city. Not saying that I’m being distrustful, but I just want to be sure as a first time buyer, I’m not walking in too blindly.

Anyways, I know this is a lot of rambling but I hope someone can help me out. Thanks!
Angelo

Post by Angelo »

Based on what you have described as potential trips into and within the City, you will not be happy with a 50cc scooter. Yes, people will tell you that its a good stepping stone to gain experience, but I think that is a load.

Your better off saving a bit more and getting a good 150cc. The learning curve will be the same and you might actually keep the scooter for awhile instead of trying to sell the 50cc scooter that you just bought and realize that nobody wants to buy from you now...

lots of opinions out there, I'm sure many more will pipe up...
�Long live vintage motorcycles that are too tough to die...�

- Dustin Kott-
redbike

Post by redbike »

Agree wholeheartedly with Angelo's take on this. You'd be happy for a weekend with a 50cc, but would want more power immediately. A 50 will do the job, but you have nothing in reserve if you need to get out of the way of something happening on the road; you'll always be the slowest to move off after a red light (which will not endear you to motorists behind you) and you will crawl up anything more than the most modest change in elevation.

Save your dosh, and keep your eye out for a 150, IMHO. Welcome to the group, btw.
jbcollier

Post by jbcollier »

2004?

That should be a 2 stroke 50 so you will top out at 70-ish. If ALL you want to do is ride in town, with no freeways, it will be OK. However, I have never met anyone who regretted buying a 150 but I have met plenty of people who have regretted buying a 50.

Your call...
cjang

Post by cjang »

Thanks to you all for your input so far. I think you're all right.. I should just look beyond the 50ccs and aim for the 150cc. I wouldn't think too often of going freeway but I guess it wouldn't hurt to be able to pop onto Whitemud to get through the southend of town.

I guess I'll pop into Alberta Cycle to view some of their models in person before I consider waiting it out for a used one on kijiji.
david

Post by david »

I know the owner of the Piaggio Fly 150 listed above, it has been well looked after, always parked in the garage and comes with some extras. Very low KMs and still has the new scooter smell.
If you are interested, go have a look, as it is at a very good price.
Ska'D for Life
cjang

Post by cjang »

I was looking through those ads and nothing really interested me. The Piaggio looks like an awesome deal but the style doesn't do it for me.

The 2007 LX150 I was looking at but just debating whether there will be pros or cons between looking at a 2012 model for the extra $1000.
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

The 2012 has fuel injection. In theory i think it produces a little bit more power. I doubt you'll be able to butt dyno the difference between the two.
Specs written in the ads are 11.7hp and 11.9hp

Other than that i think they are very similar if not exactly the same.