Battery Advice

Chit chat related to the club or scooters in general

Moderator: Moderators

Sowelu

Battery Advice

Post by Sowelu »

Can anyone help me understand why my battery in the Derbi seems to be almost empty of fluid in about 3 weeks. The batter is about a year old, spent the winter on a trickle charger and it seems it have to put more distilled water in it as it is almost empty after 3 weeks. I can't see any cracks in the battery nor is there any fluid in the plastic tray it sits in.

I haven't put it in the Derbi yet, so I'm not even sure it can hold a charge at this point.

It seems a little frustrating to have to buy a new battery yet again when this one is not that old.

Thanks

Shannon
"The real danger is not that machines will begin to think like men, but that men will begin to think like machines." Sydney J. Harris
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Shannon,

What kind of trickle charger?

i think you need to watch some trickle chargers as they supply a charge current 100% of the time while on. I think they can cook/boil off you battery if left on too long.

The electronics in the battery tenders shut off the charge current when not needed thus saving your battery.

Was the trickle charger on the batt this past few weeks after the distilled water was added?
Sowelu

Post by Sowelu »

It was and has been when I notice the battery is getting close to dry. The trickle charger is from Canadian tire, but isn't fancy. Plug goes in the wall and then a line runs from the charger straight to the clamps that go in the battery.

Hmmm .... Perhaps I need to invest in a new trickle charger.

Shannon
"The real danger is not that machines will begin to think like men, but that men will begin to think like machines." Sydney J. Harris
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

does your existing trickle charger have amp settings?

10amp/5amp/2amp/1amp ? or something like that.

If you end up buying a new one, make sure it has the smart electronics in it.

http://batterytender.com/products/motorcycle.html
jbcollier

Post by jbcollier »

Battery went dry on or off the scoot?

On - bad regulator or bad cell in the battery.

Off - what Kevin said.

Fill it up with distilled water one more time. Put it back on the charger for three hours. See if it starts the scoot. If it does, you are probably OK but will probably need a new battery for next year. If it doesn't...
Sowelu

Post by Sowelu »

No. no amp setting. Looks like at least a new trickle charger this year and possibly a new battery. It will have to wait until after Victoria now.

Thanks for all the help!

Shannon
Macgyyver

Post by Macgyyver »

I can recommend Batteryworld on 149 St. Sold me Vespa battery for $47.50. Talk to Howard.
=~=~=
2001 Vino YJ50 2-stroke (Just rolled 26,000kms - yes that's right - 26!)
2007 Yamaha V-Star 1100 Custom "Blaze"
2006 new to me Vespa LX150 8,000kms with character
2006 hand-me-down Vespa LX150 33,000kms