1978 Vespa...

Chit chat related to the club or scooters in general

Moderator: Moderators

shawna

1978 Vespa...

Post by shawna »

Hi,

I have a 1978 Vespa. I was told when I brought it back with me from Indonesia that I could only register it as a historical vehicle (and only drive it to and from car shows) as it has a 2 stroke engine. Since then, I have seen older Vespas on the road. Do any of you have older Vespas?

Thanks,
Shawna
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

That is just plain silly! Lots of us run older 2-stroke Vespas and Lambrettas on regular licence and insurance. But registering a bike from outside the country can be time consuming and expensive. Try going to a registry with the VIN (don't know where it is on that bike but should be visible somewhere) and asking for an Out of Province inspection form. Tell them the bike has never been registered in Canada, so far as you know. There's no reason to tell them it came from Indonesia (at least not at first). Then take it to a garage that does OOP inspections, such as Time Machine. It will need turn signals, at the least a rear-view mirror on the left side, as well as good tires, brakes, lights, etc. to pass inspection, which will run you $180-$200). Others here will have more (and probably better) advice--
Last edited by Andrew on Tue May 13, 2014 9:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

Check out the other forums too, and come out to a club meeting -- usually Sundays at Wild Earth in the west end at some time between 11 and 1 (check this forum for times on Sat evenings).
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

lots of us have older vespas and lambrettas.

if its older than 15 years when it was imported and you did the import paper work at the time you should be pretty close to good to go.

if not then some trickery will need to take place.

hit up your insurance agent and ask for the out of province inspection paper work. (some want their own paperwork filled out and some dont care) Take the scoot to a mechanic that does out of province inspections. If everything passes your almost done.

take the paperwork back to insurance company, get insurance then registration and plate. All done.

Sounds simple but it can be alot of work in the end.

It will be beneficial having someone with knowledge do a once over with your scoot as it might need some work before the inspection. (mirrors, turn signals, lights, brakes, etc...) Doing this could save you a pile of money during the process.
shawna

Post by shawna »

Thank you for all of the advice! I will definitely check it out.