It lives!

Offtopic discusion goes here

Moderator: Moderators

jbcollier

It lives!

Post by jbcollier »

Had the Europa out for the first time this week. No trouble literally burying the needle on the 200 mph speedo!

(Note to self: calibrate the speedo)

Very happy with how the engine runs: decent idle, good torque low down and a nice high rpm hit as the intake, exhaust and cam reach their happy place.

The cable shifter works a treat. It's a little notch-y when you're messing around in the driveway but on the road it all just disappears. Though it's a tight gate, there is a much larger step to get to reverse so absolutely no issues finding second on a downshift.

When calibrating the speedo, I went the wrong way at first and travelled 60+ miles in about two wheel revolutions! Once headed in the right direction, the electronic speedo was easy to dial in. I'm using a 200 mph speedo calibrated to read in kilometres.

Just starting the carb jetting phase. Started with 7772.5 emulsion tubes but felt it was a bit rich in the mid-range so then went to 7772.8 tubes. Sweet, so I went next to 7772.10 tubes and started to get some missing in modest throttle applications. Back to the .8s. Main jet is at 118 and it all runs sweet but just a tad on the rich side: perfect for running in.

Can't recommend running without front and rear windows. Sets up a venturi effect that tries to suck the passenger seat out! At not that high speeds the leading roof edge starts vibrating in a way that had me concerned I'd develop cracks.

Looks a bit odd grinning like a loon while driving like a maniac with one hand steadying the lip of the roof!

Thanks to Redbike John for occupying the passenger seat and reading out all the numbers as we set up the speedo and checked the jetting.
pk50

Post by pk50 »

Your amazing that's all I have to say.
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

i guess THAT'S why they put windows on this gokart...

Great news!